Brown Bag Cookie Molds?

Baking By cindy58 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 12:26pm by ALVARGA

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:12am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone use these and have any tips for getting the best design impression?

I bought several on ebay and my sister and I tried them tonight. We used the recipes from the Brown Bag site, and tried the Sugar Cookie, Chocolate and Ginger cookie recipes. They smelled and tasted great. Not too much difficulty getting them to release from the mold. The Chocolate and Ginger recipes held the design better than the Sugar Cookie. I made a thinned out Glace' that we brushed over the top. For the first attempt, they are decent, but just like all my cookies, I'd like them to be better next time!

10 replies
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 11

I used to use these all the time and even taught a class on them at one point. There are two main factors - you have to have molds with very good definition. I used to pick through all in the store to find the best. Secondly, don't get too much air or 'fluff' when doing your dough. Lastly, after you form the cookies, chill the whole sheet and make sure your oven is well pre-heated. Hope that helps a tad! I never decorated the front, but I did put chocolate on the back and dipped in bits of toffee. Yum!

cindy58 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the reply, TracyLH! I'd really like to get these to work.

Did you use the Brown Bag recipes? I did use the mixer to cream the ingredients, but the recipe did say "by hand" or with a mixer on low speed. I probably had the oven on for 30 minutes before I put some in, and they were chilled in the freezer for a bit before baking. I noticed a definite difference between the recipes -- the sugar cookie one puffed more than the Chocolate or Ginger. I wondered if trying just an egg yolk rather than a whole egg might help. Do you think parchment or not on the cookie sheet makes a difference? (I know the instructions said not to use Airbake sheets.)

Also, I didn't like the flour from the mold that showed on the chocolate cookies. I did tap it out pretty well before putting the dough in the mold. Do you have any experience with using either powdered sugar or cocoa (or a mix of these) instead of flour to dust the mold?

Since a single recipe doesn't make a load of cookies, I'm game to try a few things until I get it right.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #4 of 11

What are brown bag cookie molds?
Thanks.

cindy58 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #5 of 11

They are stoneware cookie molds. They also have some very nice shortbread molds. Here's their home page:

http://www.brownbagcookiemolds.com/

A cookie mold gallery:

http://www.brownbagcookiemolds.com/gallery/CookieMolds

I don't know that it shows all of the designs. There are some really attractive designs -- if I can get them to imprint well on the cookie! The shortbread pans work well for me, I think I just need some practice with the cookie molds.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:19am
post #6 of 11

Thanks.

TracyLH Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:56am
post #7 of 11

Hi Cindy - I knew I forgot something! I meant to mention that it is imperative that you mix by hand only You are trying to to keep from getting too much air in the dough. Also, I use Airbake. I haven't done them for a while, but I never used parchment, but you can try that. I know it helps with spreading on my regular cutouts. Also, you could experiment and try just a yolk.

I remember I did do something a bit different. I don't recall the instructions, but to keep the dough from sticking, I took a small amount of dough and pushed it in the mold instead of however they said to 'oil' it. I then put a small amount of flour in, moved it around and really tapped it out. I refloured each time (sometimes every other time). I never had a problem with flour showing on the light cookies. As for the darker, I would use cocoa powder.

Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

cindy58 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:07am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Hi Cindy - I knew I forgot something! I meant to mention that it is imperative that you mix by hand only You are trying to to keep from getting too much air in the dough. Also, I use Airbake. I haven't done them for a while, but I never used parchment, but you can try that. I know it helps with spreading on my regular cutouts. Also, you could experiment and try just a yolk.

I remember I did do something a bit different. I don't recall the instructions, but to keep the dough from sticking, I took a small amount of dough and pushed it in the mold instead of however they said to 'oil' it. I then put a small amount of flour in, moved it around and really tapped it out. I refloured each time (sometimes every other time). I never had a problem with flour showing on the light cookies. As for the darker, I would use cocoa powder.

Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks! I'm going to try with just a yolk + hand mixing. Some of my best chocolate chip cookies were hand mixed too. Funny how that works!

I did use parchment -- maybe I'll try a few without.

Some of my metal cutters with backs said to do the "dough rubbing" thing to condition them prior to dusting with flour. I just pushed them into the dough blob a couple of times to accomplish that before I rolled it out. That was pretty easy.

TracyLH Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 11

I just test a lot and it sounds like you will get this solved in no time! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 11

I have tons of them and use them all the time. I'm not crazy about the shortbread pans (bad definition) but the cookie molds are AWESOME!! And quite frankly her recipes are the best I've ever eaten. And the nice thing is that you can use the molds with fondant, chocolate and other things. Very cool!! icon_biggrin.gif

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:26pm
post #11 of 11

My sister has given me several of these molds and I have never tried baking with them but now I have some inspiration. I am excited. I may try them this weekend. Thanks for all the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%