How Much Would You Charge/pay For This Cake?

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 3:45am by bejewelled

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:05am
post #1 of 37

I made a cake for a party and I had a few people ask me how much I would have charged for the cake. (See picture) I have no idea. It's single cakes torted, 6", 8", 12" with gumpaste figures. Fondant, SMBC, Chocolate with cookies and cream filling, white cakes with strawberry cream filling. I'm guessing $100 or should it be more? Help!
LL

36 replies
Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 37

Wow it is beautiful. I will let the experts speak to the price issue.

wily_kitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wily_kitt Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #3 of 37

I think a cake like that I would be inclined to say like $250. Just the cake portion alone I would think like $175. It's a wonderful cake!

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:25am
post #4 of 37

I would say waaay more than $100 thats to much work for such a little price. Dont sell yourself short your amazing!

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 37

off the top of my head I can't say for sure how many a 6,8,12 would serve, I am thinking about 90, being it is fondant covered, the price should be $at least 2.00 per serving, I know that is really low, and then all the fondant figures trees, and all the other extras I would say no less then $275 to $350.

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:28am
post #6 of 37

My prices are pretty low compared to a lot of the pros on here, but my price for fondant is $2.75 a serving. Your cake serves 92 so that would equal $253, plus I would charge an art fee of $50 for all the detail and figures.
So that makes it $303. Most wouldn't pay that were I am at, but at least that might give you an idea of where to start your pricing. You can always make it with less servings.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:39am
post #7 of 37

My prices would put that at $368 + extra for the figures would be about $400

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:39am
post #8 of 37

wow great work i think you need to really start thinking about pricing cause everyones going to be asking!!!!! this looks amazing

JaimeAnn Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #9 of 37

Oh and that is very nice work. Don't sell yourself short . You can't just run to the grocery store and get a cake like that!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:44am
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wily_kitt

I think a cake like that I would be inclined to say like $250. Just the cake portion alone I would think like $175. It's a wonderful cake!

Wily Kitt, I just smacked my laptop. Your avatar looked like a gnat on my screen! icon_lol.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:56am
post #11 of 37

I was thinking $100, but I am sure not an expert.....that would be great if you could get 3 or 400....wow its really cool

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:04am
post #12 of 37

I would charge between $225-250

JaimeAnn Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I was thinking $100, but I am sure not an expert.....that would be great if you could get 3 or 400....wow its really cool

icon_eek.gif

A highly detailed three tier cake 6" 8" & 12" for $100 ... That is barely $1 per serving ! You can't buy plain BC sheetcakes for $1 a serving !

That is just Crazy Low....

Fondant covered cakes go for around $4 a serving and that doesn't even include all that detail work.

icon_eek.gif

I just don't get why people think cake should be priced so low... That cake is ART and I am an artist before I was a cake decorator.

All of you cake decorators that are charging $1 a serving are doing yourselves and other cake designers a huge injustice. If people even think they can get a cake like that for $100 it sets a horrible standard. Sure I don't necessarily agree that cake should be $15 a serving but it at least needs to be fair to the crafter creating the cake . Would you go work at any other job for $1 an hour . I know I wouldn't so why should we have to sell something that we put so much time and heart into for that equivalent. I would rather give it away for free than devalue my work so badly.

I am not being mean but people really need to stand up for themselves . I know a lot of people say " I can't get $4 a serving for cake where I live" then I say they don't want your cake and hard work enough! If they want $100 cake they should not be looking at custom designed and hand crafted cakes . That is why grocery stores sell cake.

We aren't "CAKE BAKERS" We are Cake Artists and designers .. there is a HUGE difference!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #14 of 37

I would charge $7 per serving for this cake. So 92 servings times $7 is $644 and not a penny less!

halfbaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halfbaked Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:53am
post #15 of 37

wow, it's really nice to hear some of the feedback on her cake (your cake is awesome, by the way). Its really hard to jump in and start pricing your work fromwithin your own head. This is a nice gauge to utilize. Thanks guys.

Jeniwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeniwin Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:38am
post #16 of 37

Nice cake, and I agree with JamieAnn, we are artists. If someone wants sheet cake . . .well then pay $1 per serving at a grocery store. If you want a cake sclupture, then you should pay for it. I am dealing with the same issue right now. I have a bride in sticker shock because I quoted her $500 on a 4-tier 14"-12"-8"-6" alt round and square, fondant and smbc, with gumpaste autumn leaves cascade, royal piping detail, and other large and small specific sclupted details.
She wanted $325 range. thumbsdown.gif

I think $325+ is a minimum for your cake. thumbs_up.gif

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:01am
post #17 of 37

First I want to say your work is beautiful, wonderful details and the little paver stones are crazy cute! I know that $100. is no where near enough for all that work, I would have to agree with some of the artists that suggest a higher price. Lots of luck with your pricing. princess.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:01am
post #18 of 37

Agree totally with Jamie Ann. Raise the bar for yourself and you raise it for cakers everywhere.

I would have charged $625 for a similar cake.

madgeowens Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:41am
post #19 of 37

well I suppose its worth whatever someone is inclined to pay for it, but of course I am not the expert here. I would hazzard a guess that in San Francisco or Beverly Hills California you could get $$$ big time....NYC I dare say may sell it for $400, but around here, cow town........$100 is about what you would get......sorry but they are not rich in many rural areas...thats just my two cents.....then again some people think on a grand scale too lol

madgeowens Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:09am
post #20 of 37

see what I mean about grand scale lol..........holy mouse nuts 625? wow

madgeowens Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:23am
post #21 of 37

ok price this cake
LL

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #22 of 37

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice. Considering this was the first time I made any figures and anything like this, I appreciate all the compliments. Asking for money has always been hard, even in my graphic design business. I'm always afraid people will say 'no thanks' and I think 'something is better than nothing'. Then again, I understand the points some of you made about selling myself short and affecting others' cake prices. Thanks again everyone!!!

Jeniwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeniwin Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:38pm
post #23 of 37

Madge- I think $325+. I live in the DC 'burbs, and am also trying to figure out pricing for my cakes, as I am just a newbie too. But I have an semi-extensive art background, and I have also sold works and been published on a small scale, and know what it takes to produce art. Cake is just another medium. . .and custom art should be worth it. Around here I think prices fall in mid scale, so the pricing question would be relative to where you live I guess.

$100 seems like a loss, both cakes posted are beautiful. What was your cost on the cake? Also, I am starting to get orders for cakes, by word of mouth. But I am afraid that if I price too low, I will get stuck there and people may expect it.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:02pm
post #24 of 37

For something similar to yours Madge, I would do a few things differently, but for the basic design scheme with corals and chocolate seashells, probably around $6 or $7 a serving.

Cow town? The sticks? Oh that changes it a bit. Oh wait, no it doesn't. $6 or $7 a serving. icon_smile.gif

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:22pm
post #25 of 37

I would charge at least $4.00 a serving which would be $360.00 then I would add an additional fee for the figurines so about $400.00. Your time and skills are worth the money. I am in PA...and I have no problem getting people to pay that for a cake. They know they are getting their monies worth, and that my cakes are creations, and artwork...just as others have suggested. I am not a grocery store, nor do I want to be compared to one....For the sea themed cake, I would probably charge around $300...but I also go by servings, flavors/fillings, etc. Don't cut yourself short, If you make your prices too cheap, yes you will get business, but it also will be hard for you to increase your prices...I learned that a long time ago,....also helps "weed out" the cheaper cakes, and then gives you the higher paying cakes, that can be worth your while...awesome cakes!

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:23pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

well I suppose its worth whatever someone is inclined to pay for it, but of course I am not the expert here. I would hazzard a guess that in San Francisco or Beverly Hills California you could get $$$ big time....NYC I dare say may sell it for $400, but around here, cow town........$100 is about what you would get......sorry but they are not rich in many rural areas...thats just my two cents.....then again some people think on a grand scale too lol

Sorry I dont agree some people want stuff for nothing. I will not take what someone will pay. I want what its worth. That cake with all the figures are hard work. If they dont want to pay then there are other options, but if the customer wants a custom decorated cake they must pay.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #27 of 37

for either of those cakes, which are beautiful by the way, I would charge a minimum of $4 a serving. For the fishing one I would charge $5 a serving. That is a lot of time and energy. But you know in the end you should be happy with your work and happy with the price you get whether it be $50 or $500. and seriously you are SO talented. great job!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #28 of 37

That cake is amazing. $100 will barely cover your costs much alone your time. If you continue to charge like that you will grow to hate decorating and lose the love of your art. I did a cake, against the rules, from my house a while back. It was a very detailed caked and I really did not want to do it. I figured the easiest way out would be to overquote. I live in cow town, and the local walmart charges 50 cents a serving, and starts weddings a $1.50. I charged $5 a serving for the cake and they jumped for joy! People will pay if you charge for it and they want it. It is not for use to determine their budget but our worth. If we don't value ourselves, who will?

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:43pm
post #29 of 37

I agree that some people want a massive work of art, and want to pay nothing for it....that is why I ask a budget right from the start...and if they say oh doesn't matter, I still try and get them within a range...it is a waste of my time to design or worse do a 3 tiered massive custom cake, if they only want to spend pennies for it. I had a lady call me and she saw one of my cakes she wanted me to do for her...(3 tiered, all fondant, with a custom baby, decorated with fondant accents, I don't remember the flavors and fillings, but I know she wanted 3 different for each tier) I then told her ok what are you looking to spend, she said ahhh...no more than $35-$40.00 icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Are you kidding me....I thanked her and told I wasn't available for that date, and that my price minimums and said maybe next time.....people will try and bargain, and get a TV glamourized cake for the grocery store/sams/walmart prices...not going to happen here....like debbie says....NEXT!!!!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:58pm
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wily_kitt

Wily Kitt, I just smacked my laptop. Your avatar looked like a gnat on my screen! icon_lol.gif

OMG...LMAO so did I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%