Advice From More Experienced Decorators To Newbies

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm by HPChick33

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 4

I thought this would be a fun topic.

For you experienced cake decorators, what is one thing that you did just one time that was a lesson in itself and you would never do again? Maybe us newbies could skip that part, certainly there will be several other goof ups we will make.

My biggest fear is to agree to do a major cake (ie wedding) and get the date wrong. I have already spelled names wrong on cakes, now I get people to write the name on a sheet of paper so I have it in writing.

3 replies
scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 4

I'm almost too embarrassed to say, but I agreed to using whipped cream as a filling in a wedding cake, in the middle of summer icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Yep, I learned that lesson the hard way!

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 4

i only have a year's worth of experience,but i would say putting to much filling in between my layers just to have i leak out after i had already frosted it! icon_cry.gif oh,and writing on a cake (my hand writing is HORRIBLE!) it really ruins the look of the cake!

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 4

My biggest mistake is rushing. Even now, something always goes wrong when I try to make last-minute cakes. I think that it is very important to develop a timeline that works for you. Some people can whip a cake together in no time. I'm not one of them!

Also, whenever I'm almost finished with a cake and I see that it's turning out really good, I get excited. That usually leads to me losing focus and messing something up! Last time...it was my finger. I cut myself while trying to cut wires (I wasn't paying attention...stupid, I know). I guess my point is...planning is everything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%