What Do I Make This Part Out Of?

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm by Malakin

yamber82 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 5

a fish sticking out of a bowl (cat in the hat style). i have seen several of these and they are so cool. i am wondering what they are made out of, cake? styrophome? rk?

i was thinking of using styrophome as there will be more than enough cake already so really no need for it to be edible, but i have never carved out of that meium before.

any ideas/suggestion would be oh so helpful!!!

4 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 5

I dont know the size you need it to be but I think I would make it from 50/50 gum paste fondant. Remember that if the piece is thick it will take some time to dry but you can use an actual bowl for him to stick out of and shape him on it so you know it will fit. I just finished a Dory (from Nemo) and she was 3x5 and took a day or two to dry completely. I have not done much with RKT.

yamber82 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 5

i was refering to something much larger actually but i was looking at pan sizes yesterday and am going to downscale considerably from my original plan. the fish will be coming out of the bowl which will be carved from a 6" cake i think.

here is my inspiration...

i reeeeally like the detail on the first one but i might be leaning moret owards the second one since i am going with a smaller cake and this is only the top tier of a very elaborate cake.

Doug Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 5

RKT (rice crispie treats) will be much easier to work with.

Malakin Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with Doug. It would be great and easy to do out of RKT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%