Rule Of Thumb For Freshness

Decorating By donkeemom Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 2:38am by -Tubbs

donkeemom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 4

My husbands boss has asked me to make a cake for his girlfriends birthday. It will be covered in fondant with gumpaste accents. He wants to pick it up a "few days" ahead of time.
I have not answered him yet, because I am just not sure, then I thought I know I will ask my fellow CC'rs, they should know. So, anyone have any hard fast timeline rules they follow for freshness?

3 replies
Deb_ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 4

The earliest I would allow a "pick-up" is a day or maybe 2, before the event.

So if someone wanted to pick-up 3 days before an event, I'd just explain to them that the cake will have been baked 4 to 5 days prior to them eating it and that I can not guarantee that it will taste fresh.

Of course there are a lot of factors to consider.....recipes, ingredients, method of baking used just to name a few.

If you're not comfortable with that time frame, just be honest with him. It's your reputation on the line, so you have the right to refuse the order....I would.

donkeemom Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:09am
post #3 of 4

Thank you......very good answer and good advise! You are right, taking into consideration that the cake is being baked ahead of the time he picks it up.

-Tubbs Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 4

I think a scratch cake under fondant keeps really well.

I'd do it, as long as there were no perishable fillings or anything that could deteriorate over time, so basically a good scratch cake with buttercream filling and covered in fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%