Piping Swirl Designs On A Buttercream Wedding Cake

Decorating By sweetbaker1019 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm by Rylan

sweetbaker1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker1019 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 15

hi there im making a wedding cake for my friend and she wants some swirl designs on the tiers. i was wondering if i should use colored buttercream icing or royal icing? the cake is going to be 4 tiers stacked on each other. please let me know! thoughts and suggrestions are very welcome! thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 15

Hi, I'm no expert but I thought I read somewhere that using royal icing on buttercream is no good. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think that the shortening in buttercream breaks down the royal icing. I'm sure that if I'm wrong, our fellow CCer's will get you the correct info.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 15

I use BC for everything ... icing, borders, flowers, roses, stringwork, etc. Never use RI on anything cake.

sweetbaker1019 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 15

thanks so ,much guys!!!! i dont know where i heard using royal icing for the piping lol anyways i think ill definetly use buttercream icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 15

I think royal is used frequently for piping (my impression from reading other threads and watching the food channel), so it's not odd that you heard that somewhere. And because of the staying power of royal (dries hard, holds in place well), its a favored choice for intricate stringwork.

I've probably just not "graduated" up to that level yet! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

I would say start with buttercream till you get the hang of it (easy to correct a boo-boo!), then try it with royal to see which you prefer. thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 15

i just did a b/c cake... used wilton impressions to make swirls.. and piped black ,buttercream swirls, on sides of each tier. the client wanted black swirls. it is in my pics.. hth

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 15

I think royal would work better over fondant, because the fat in BC breaks down the royal, and by that point you might as well have used BC in the first place.

Good luck and make sure to post pictures when you're finished! icon_smile.gif

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 15

I've used RI on buttercream quite a bit and haven't had any problems with it breaking down. It probably depends most on what you're comfortable with.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 15

Just a friendly tip...if you have never done scroll work (swirls) before...it might be best for you to pipe the scrolls with the same color icing that is on the cake. That way, if you mess up...it is easy to correct and won't be obvious. I had never done scroll work before two weeks ago and did some ivory on ivory. It turned out awesome and it was so easy to fix my boo boos rather than if I had used a color icing on a light colored cake.

I apologize for my comment if you have already done this technique before. I just was trying to help out!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am sure it's gonna turn out AWESOME!!! thumbs_up.gif

sweetbaker1019 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 15

thanks for all your help guys! ill make sure to post pictures. and she wants a wine/burgundy color for the swirls but i think i will definetly need to practice on it. and ill see which icing i like better. and now that i think of it i saw it on Cake Boss he did a 7 teir cake for a bridal mag. and he used royal icing for the design he did and it was a swirl design.

indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 15

another idea for colored swirls ..... do a base swirl, using like a tip 4, in white. Then do the burgundy on top of the tip 4 swirl using a tip 3. If you mess up, the base of the swirl is the same color so less mess, plus it gives it a nice 3-D look.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 15

I use buttercream on buttercream and RI on fondant. =o)

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 15

you can use royal icing piping on a BC iced cake, it will not break down, that only happens when you mix it into the royal, like stirring the royal icing with a spatula you stirred your bc icing with. The royal pipes cleaner and flowsbetter out of the tip, for me anyway.

sweetbaker1019 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #14 of 15

thats what i figured sweetcakes im just going to have to do a practice cake and see which one i like batter icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

you can use royal icing piping on a BC iced cake, it will not break down, that only happens when you mix it into the royal, like stirring the royal icing with a spatula you stirred your bc icing with. The royal pipes cleaner and flowsbetter out of the tip, for me anyway.

Exactly. I smear a lot of shortening in my fondant and my royal icing doesn't break down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%