Help! Need Filling Ideas Asap!

Decorating By sharonben Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 4:40am by cuteums

sharonben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonben Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 8

I'm reluctantly trying a topsy turvy cake for the 1st time. My friend begged me to make it for her son's bar mitzvah that is next weekend. I gave in. I decided to make the cakes ahead of time and freeze them and then do the decorating next Thurs. or Fri. (the cake is for the party Sat. night 8/15).

The decorating is late next week b/c I have assumed that freezing a fondant decorated cake is not good idea. I'd definitely prefer to make the whole thing this week if I could. If anybody has an opinion on freezing a fondant decorated cake, please let me know.

Anyways, I need to come up with some fillings that freeze well. I have 1 tier (that is 3 layers, possibly more because each layer came out rather thick so I may split the layers further) that is WASC without the almond and another tier that is a devil's food cake. I haven't made the 3rd tier yet but am thinking of doing red velvet. I think buttercream everywhere would be boring. Would love your suggestions for fillings that would freeze well and taste great!

Thanks so much in advance!

7 replies
Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 8

Any of Toba Garret's recipes are delicious, I use her Fr. Vanilla b/c and the chocolate and they freeze very well. I also use the cake bible's strawberry puree and add sliced sttrawberries and that also freezes well. I don't recomend freezing the fondant. I would just fill and crumb coat and then freeze. Make sure to use a dam if you use the strawberry lol. Hope that helps, maybe someone with more experience will chime in icon_biggrin.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 8

Any kind of SMBC freezes well. I'll eat the chocolate straight from the freezer! yum. It will just need rewhipped when removed. Chocolate SMBC, raspberry SMBC (with preserves--tastes like mousse), nutella SMBC, mocha SMBC, white chocolate, cream cheese, etc.

ashepard1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashepard1981 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 8

I just made a cake for a party and used milk choclate cake mix and the strawberry fluff filling with buttercream icing! YUMMY!!!! Everybody loved it!

sharonben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonben Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:03am
post #5 of 8

Thanks everybody. I made 2 different fillings last night and on 1 of the cakes the tiers started tio slide. What exactly is a cake dam? I ended up wiping off the filling and just adding buttercream.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:19am
post #6 of 8

A dam is when you run a ring of buttercream around the edge of your layer before placing any slippery filling on the interior of the ring. I like to pipe it on with a coupler tip. Your icing ring creates a dam to prevent the filling from squishing out, and it also acts like a nice ring of glue to keep your layers from sliding. Sometimes I put a glob of BC in the middle too (like the center of a target) just for good measure (but I think that step's kind of redundant).

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:30am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna

Any of Toba Garret's recipes are delicious, I use her Fr. Vanilla b/c and the chocolate and they freeze very well. I also use the cake bible's strawberry puree and add sliced sttrawberries and that also freezes well. I don't recomend freezing the fondant. I would just fill and crumb coat and then freeze. Make sure to use a dam if you use the strawberry lol. Hope that helps, maybe someone with more experience will chime in icon_biggrin.gif

Where can I find Toba Garret's recipes??

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:40am
post #8 of 8

i don't know how well it will freeze, but I have made chocolate hazelnut buttercream. I just added nutella to my regular buttercream and whipped it together. It was delicious. It's great because it isn't supposed to be refigerated so it can stay out, unlike a whipped cream or a mousse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%