2 Tier Cake - Need Help With Servings

Decorating By sweetnams Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 1:14am by sweetnams

sweetnams Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all, I have to make a cake that serves 75 people, its a two tiered cake. I'm having trouble deciding if I should do 12" and 14" rounds or 10" and 12" rounds. The standard party size servings of 1.5" x 2" is small for the customer and she needs a slightly bigger piece. So I'm stumped with which cake sizes to do. Also, its a birthday party so the servings need to be big.

I also plan to have the cakes(each tier) 4 inches tall. The flavour is chocolate on both tiers.

Any help is most greatly appreciated!

3 replies
CakeandDazzle Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 4

why not do a 12 & 9... serves 88 people... and i think some people dont realize that a 4 inch cake ( i assume you do 4 cake/3 filling) serves sooo many... people always complain thats alll i get... but never come back for more they are just tooo big!! Make sure though, that you charge for normal serving sizes or youll lose money!!

indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 4

HEre's a pic of a 10/12: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297422

10/12 serves 38/56 (total 94) in standard 1x2x4 pieces.
10/14 serves 38/78 (total 116) in standard 1x2x4 pieces.

The reason I listed them that way is because, as CakeandDazzle said, you CHARGE for the standard servings (94 or 116) at your standard rates. They are welcome to cut them as big as they want but they are PAYING FOR the number of servings the cake is DESIGNED to serve.

If 1.5x2x4 is too small for her ....... ! icon_eek.gif Holy cow, she WILL be cutting them the size of bricks!! icon_surprised.gif

sweetnams Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 4

@ CakeandDazzle, thanks for your response. I will be doing two 2-inch high cakes in each tier..so only one filling in each. 12" and 9" sounds good, and 88 is more than enough.

@ Indydebi, that is a lovely cake!! thumbs_up.gif Thank you for the information. I will surely be charging her for the standard servings. I just wanted to make sure I give them enough servings rather than falling short.

I guess my customer doesn't quite know how big a piece 1.5x2x4 turns out to! icon_razz.gif

Thanks again!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%