Cheesecake Covered With Mmf? Anyone Ever Done This?

Decorating By lostincake Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 12:02pm by JCE62108

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 9

Hi All,

Was wondering if it's possible to decorate cheesecake with MMF? If so, are there any tricks to use? If not, are there alternative methods for covering and decorating cheesecake that don't involve soft frostings i.e. buttercream?

I remember reading a thread a while back about the pitfalls of using regular fondant but can't remember what they were and now can't find it.

I've searched the forums and not found that topic again nor anything specific to decorating cheesecake with anything other than buttercream or some form of soft frosting. I have used MMF exclusively so far and feel most comfortable with using that or another method that has the same texture and consistency.

I was thinking maybe modelling chocolate if MMF doesn't work.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

8 replies
lostincake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #2 of 9

Anyone have any insight pls?

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 9

I used MMF to cover the cheesecake in my photos. Actually it was a NY style cheesecake topped with cherry filling then topped with a stiff cream cheese icing then covered in fondant .

It was decorated and served in the same day so refrigeration wasn't an issue .

I baked the cheesecake the day before and refrigerated it till time to cover and decorate then it was served about an hour later. so I am not sure how it would hold up if it needed to be held for a day or so.

lostincake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the tip on using stiff icing.

I am a bit concerned about condensation once it is removed from the fridge however I guess it wouldn't be much of an issue if it is cut and served immediately especially since cheesecake is meant to be served chilled.

I might just give it a try and see =)

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:00am
post #5 of 9

I have almost always refrigerated regular cakes covered in fondant . I just allow time for them to come back to room temp and for the condensation to evaporate.

Every cake in my pics (except the cheesecake) had been refrigerated overnight for delivery the next day. I have done A LOT of other cakes that I don't have pics of that I didn't have any refrigeration problems with either.

BUT I have read threads on here where people have had major messes to fix from refrigerating fondant, It just hasn't happened to me.

lostincake Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:32am
post #6 of 9

That's really good to know...thanks for all the help JamieAnn icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:42am
post #7 of 9

Hey, did you try it? I searched for this specific topic! I need to cover a cheesecake in MMF! Bride doesn't want icing.

lostincake Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:48am
post #8 of 9

No...turned out they wanted a carved cake and I told them "no can do" with a cheesecake. Sorry...

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:02pm
post #9 of 9

Hey I know this thread is pretty much resolved, but in case some else has a question about it, what about ganache? Ive covered cheesecakes in ganache before. I guess that would still be considered a soft icing though. And I dont know how white chocolate would taste on cheesecake. uck. Now chocolate? Heck yeah! Good stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%