Can Someone Help A Newbie ?

Decorating By sugarsugargal Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm by drakegore

sugarsugargal Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, i am new to this site and was looking for some comments on my dilemma !

I am based in the uk, and mainly use fondant for my cakes. I always follow the same method of decorating, which has never let me down, until this evening !

after baking, torting and filling, i crumb coat my cake and place i
t in the fridge overnight to firm up before coating in fondant.

i always remove the cake from the fridge and cover with fondant immediatly while it is still firm, with ecellent results. Today i did this method and within minutes the fondant was getting stickier and stickier to the point where once i had finished decorating the cake it was pretty wet in patches. i had to take the icing off and asume it was cold/moisture from the fridge that had caused the sweat. I left the cake a couple of hours or so to come to room temp and re-covered it successfully.

Why has this never happened before today ? i really cant think of anything i did differently ? think i have cake gremlins in my house today !!

any comments would be gratefully recvd icon_smile.gif

6 replies
bashini Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 7

Hi there, welcome to the board. Its the condensation that coursed stickyness. I never put my cakes in the fridge. I always use buttercream as a filling and I torte cakes and fill and let it settle over night. The next day I crumbcoat and cover it with fondant. If the filling you are using doesn't need refrigeration, then no need to put it in the fridge.

There is another thread under CUPCAKES and its called " A thread for all uk members". Thought might be interested! icon_smile.gif

lapazlady Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 7

Temperature differences are what caused the fondant to become sticky. If you're having hot weather, the chill created in the fridge was enough to cause the problem. I always put my cakes in the fridge and I do have problems with condensation (it gets very hot here 45 degrees is not uncommon). I find if I allow the cake sit out for a couple of hours before covering it with the fondant I don't have the problem. If you're in a zone that isn't hot, you can leave the cake out and not have the problem, except with filling that will spoil, then you need the refrigeration.

klallen21 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 7

I've never had that problem, but have had a problem from the humidity affecting my MMF...made it sticky and hard to roll/work with. Maybe the weather can play a factor as well?

And welcome to CC, I love this place! icon_smile.gif

sugarsugargal Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 7

but this method has never failed me before, thats what i am saying, it has always been perfectly fine ?

sugarsugargal Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 7

ok, yes thats helpful, think it was the weather then as a warm and humid day here icon_smile.gif thanks all icon_smile.gif

drakegore Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 7

the temperature differential was probably greater this time between your fridge and room than the previous times would be my guess.

when i bring a cake out of the fridge to work on, i have an a/c (just a cheapy window one) in the room i turn on so that it isn't going from cold to's going from cold to cool. it's hot and humid here in the summer so i cannot do without it icon_smile.gif. i never have condensation problems, but i bet i would if i didn't have the a/c going prior to bringing my cake out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%