What Am I Doing Wrong?! (Or Not Doing..)

Decorating By Clovers Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm by all4cake

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 8

Twice I have had to make black fondant and both times it has fallen apart!

The first time, before I found CC, I never thought to make it brown first, so I made regular MMF, and put LOADS of black gel paste - when I went to roll it out, it just kept crumbling. I ended up having to put it on the cake WAY too thick, because I couldn't get it anywhere near thin, and I had to cover an inch of the bottom of the cake in icing, because the fondant was so crumbled and in pieces that it didn't cover all the way down the sides of the cake!

The second time, I added cocoa in, and then added the black gel paste. I had needed brown too, so I kept some of the MMF with just cocoa aside and it was fine (I was moulding things out of it). But when I had to mould the black MMF, it was the same problem, and I couldn't get it smooth and I had to use piping gel to hold it together after I moulded what I could out of it.

What am I doing wrong!?

7 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 8

I think adding the coco powder makes it too dry but then the added gel color should help with that. But I remember reading to make chocolate fondant with chocolate melts and then color it from there. I never use the chocolate because we can't. Once I had a batch that wanted to rip and crack apart on me and I added in some tylose and it firmed it up. I was expecting it to harden like gumaspe but to my surprise it did not. I guess I only added enough to help hold it together and I got lucky. I have done black a few times and that was my only issue and that was with MMF. Since I switched to MFF I haven't had any issues at all. And honestly thinking back I used strawberry marshmellows that time because I needed the rest of the fondant to be a light pink color and I had issues with all of it. I think the type of marshmellows have an effect. I wish you luck.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 8

I thinks there are many CCers who add Crisco to their MMF to make it more pliable. It is not available here, though, so can't say from experience icon_biggrin.gif

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 8

I've made black MMF by using cocoa to darken it first. If you need it more pliable, add crisco...a teaspoon or so at a time....this will make it more pliable. Hope that helps

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 8

I can fix my red or black mmf with light corn syrup - just keep folding some into the mmf and it will make the crumbles go away!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 8

i add corn syrup...
Mm, cocoa powder, gel paste, & corn syrup

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 8

there is a recipe on here for True Black MMF. It colors it black in the liquid state, much easier. Hope that helps.

Sarah

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 8

I use the black colorant as part of the total liquid....added after heating the marshmallows but before adding the ps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%