Baking From Home In Fl!!!

Business By Linz0507 Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm by mcook1670

Linz0507 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linz0507 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 8

I cannot find info anywhere about baking from home in FL. I ahve started baking cakes for "just" ingredients, even though the people I bake them for tend to give me more because they know it's time consuming!! (which I REALLY appreciate icon_biggrin.gif )

Does anyone have info on baking from home in FL? I would like to know at what point am I still legal and not have to open a bakery...until I get better at this anyway! ( I would love to have a bakery though)

Any comments appreciated!!

Thanks fellow cc'ers

7 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 8

see this link and note answer to question #4

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/fs/foodsafe.html

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 8

The only way you can bake from home in FL is if you have built a completely seperate mini comercial kithcen that has passed all inspections and you attain and pay all costs for licencing and insurance. FL is a NO for doing anything from home. And I am just as heart broken over it as can be. But maybe someday. You can double check by calling your local health department and The department of Agriculture. And you can get fined and introuble for selling and that includes for just ingreedients, and advertising is a huge NO-No.

amanda924 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amanda924 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 8

Sounds like your state is pretty similar to mine lindz icon_cry.gif I don't have anything helpful to say but wanted to offer up my sympathy and support.

Linz0507 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linz0507 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:02am
post #5 of 8

OMG!!!! My dreams were just crushed!!!! I'm SOOOO SAD right now!! Thanks you all for your help...even though it's not what I wanted to hear
icon_sad.gif

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 8

Hi Linz...

I live in Miami, FL and I know sooo many people who fly under the rader. I haven't taken the chance because I know of several who have incurred HUGE fines! It's better to take it slow and do it legally. My dreams were also crushed when I found this out, but I gave myself a timeline and little by little I'm reaching my goals.

Just look at this as an opportunity to improve your skills!

evescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evescakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 8

I was also sad when I learned how strict FL is about home-based bakeries icon_sad.gif
However out of respect for the people that go through all the hard work to become legal, I started doing some research on how to get legal. I've called several places to rent kitchens and I recently got the green light with a caterer that offered to rent me her "licensed" kitchen a couple of nights a week. Believe me this is going to be the fastest and cheapest way to start your business right now. So now I'm working on a website, I'm planning to attend a couple of local wedding expos to get some clients and hopefully the rest will fall in its place. But at least I can tell the brides (or clients) that I work out of a "licensed" kitchen and not from home. Also, I believe it will be easier when it's time for a cake tasting icon_smile.gif
Wish you guys the best of luck icon_smile.gif

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 8

If you send me an email I can tell you how to become legal in the state of florida, I did it it's not that hard

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%