Firm Cake Recipe Needed For 3D Cake

Baking By ginbug Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm by 4theloveofcake

ginbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginbug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for a recipe for a firm cake that isn't pound cake. I'm hoping to find something tried and true, since I'll be kind of time pressed that day and won't have time for a do-over. I'm making a 3D cat cake out of the Wilton stand up lamb pan, and have heard stories about heads falling off when cake mixes are used.

Hubby (who the cake is for) likes strawberry cake, but I'm thinking that's a disaster in the making.

Any white/yellow (or even chocolate) recipes out there? If pound cake is the only way to go, just let me know and I'll get over it! icon_smile.gif

Thanks!!

4 replies
Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 5

Try this one - it is a beautiful, dense mudcake. It's very easy to make too. http://www.cakesandmore.org/blog/2008/09/chocolate-mud-cake-with-ferrero-rocher-filling/

Why not use strawberry buttercream as the 'glue' between all your pieces to give the strawberry flavour too?

ginbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginbug Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 5

Looks yummy. Think the cat's head will stay on?

It might not be a bad idea for me to do a run though, the weekend before. His birthday is three weeks away. I can poke and prod it to see if it'll stay together.

icon_smile.gif

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:58am
post #4 of 5

I think it should stay on - I'd probably stick a few bamboo skewers through the area just in case! icon_smile.gif

4theloveofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4theloveofcake Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 5

i dont know if you have made the cake already, but if you havent go to this link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

you can substitute white cake mix with strawberry & substitute vanilla pudding mix with strawberry cheesecake or something icon_wink.gif yum

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%