Is This An Okay Thing, In Your Opinion

Business By Lenette Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 2:57pm by MarlaQuack

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 11

I am interested in developing a particular facet of my business. I have found a couple of websites of folks who do the same thing (not in the same state as me).

Is it okay or weird to contact them and see if I can get some insight of their experience? Not the particulars of how they do business but more like suggestions, things they would do differently, etc...

I don't want to come off in the wrong way. Would you be put off my an email of this sort?

TIA for your feedback.

10 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 11

Depending on what it was you wanted to know I would help, I get emails all the time from other decorators from across the country and I help any way I can. I see no difference in helping here on CC and in personal emails.
Now if they want my secret recipes and all my customers thats another story icon_razz.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 11

It doesn't hurt to try. All they can say is no!

Look at IndyDebi - she is always helping people! She gives out her business plan and forms and just does so many things for people.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 11

I doubt they would view you as competition if you were from out of state. I definitely think you should give it a try! Sometimes people surprise you and go above and beyond what you were looking for.

You'll never know if you don't try!

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 11

Wouldn't bother me unless you were overly demanding and/or dishonest. The only person that kind of got to me was one lady who kept saying she wanted to open a business (not around here), but she was talking about one town over. I would have still answered her questions, but I felt she could have at least been honest with me.

cylstrial Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 11

Yep! They always say honesty is the best policy! And it really is true.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #7 of 11

Thank you all for your replies. I did contact them and even had a few responses already! Very helpful!

Thank you for the push. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:01pm
post #8 of 11

Yeah!!! That's great! Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 11

I answer most emails except from my competition in the same town . . . Or the ones that start with "You must give me your recipe for . . ." Although I often want to say, "most of my recipes start with about 6 pounds of sugar and five or more pounds of flour. You sure that will fit in your Kitchenaid?"

cylstrial Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I answer most emails except from my competition in the same town . . . Or the ones that start with "You must give me your recipe for . . ." Although I often want to say, "most of my recipes start with about 6 pounds of sugar and five or more pounds of flour. You sure that will fit in your Kitchenaid?"

LOL! You are too funny! icon_biggrin.gif

MarlaQuack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarlaQuack Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Love it!

I'm usually willing to share recipes with anyone who asks nicely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%