How Much $$$$$$ Does It Take

Business By cakebaker1957 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm by CakeForte

cakebaker1957 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 9

i was wondering how much moolah it takes to open one , I have thought about it but was wondering what kind of short cuts one could take just to get going and then later, replace things if need be.

8 replies
Doug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 9

this varies GREATLY.

and is uniquely tied to the laws in your state, county, city as well as the overall economic conditions where you live.

In NC, NY and other locals where home-based business is allowed, very inexpensive.

In TX, FL, CA and other areas where it must be a separate entity, can get very pricey, very fast.

CakeMommyTX Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 9

Yes what Doug said.
Start with your Health Department or Dept. of Agriculture to find out what you need to open.
Good Luck

cakebaker1957 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks, i will look into it but not just yet, i work full time right now(:

tracycakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 9

I agree with with Doug and cakemommy said - you really have to look in your area. This summer, we've done some serious pricing and it's around $50,000, so far. I work full-time and decided it was too big to jump into at this very moment so I'm getting legal and will be renting a kitchen. That way, I can build my customer base and keep an eye out for auctions and used equipment to help lower my costs down the road when I do open a storefront. HTH!

indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

this varies GREATLY.

anywhere from $5,000 to $75,000 or sometimes even more.

the best answer to your question, I'm sorry to say, is "Depends". (and not the Depends you find in the drugstore! icon_lol.gif )

IsaSW Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 9

There is so much to do before you open, I think you should start now, yes with that call to the department of agricultural.
And having a full time job is no excuse, its great a thing!, you have a paycheck that pays the bills, so you can start getting the skills and the clients and then hang the sign up in the wall. If you are serious about it you will start now. I am sure so many out there will agree with me.

HPChick33 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 9

I'm in the same baot as tracycakes...I live in FL and home-based food production businesses are a no-no. I'm renting a kitchen now (very inexpensive for me), and building my client base. So far, so good.

My mom and I are going to auctions and checking out foreclosed properties (lots of those around here). We've found a few great ones, but not at the price that I'm looking for.

CakeForte Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #9 of 9

i'm right around $40K, not even open yet. I calculated and I figure I could realistically make the money back in less than two years of being open full time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%