Painting Fondant

Decorating By sheenaevans Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 4:23am by alidpayne

sheenaevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheenaevans Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 10

I recently posted a question asking for suggestions on how to decorate a certain cake, and someone suggestd painting the picture on the cake. In the thread, someone said to mix vodka with the food coloring to help dry it up on the fondant.

So, my question is, does anyone know exactly how much vodka to mix with the food coloring? I'm using the Wilton gel coloring.

And, would that icing be safe for a kid to eat?

thanks!

9 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 10

yes it would be safe the vodka should evaporate, i'm guessing when you get the color you want

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 10

Don't use vodka. Use Everclear (or Golden Grain) they have a higher alcohol content than vodka. Use VERY LITTLE alcohol. What I usually do is get a piece of parchment and put the gel color on the parchment, then put some alcohol in a dixie cup. Dip the brush in the dixie cup and then pick up the gel color. I smear it around on the parchment for a second then paint. You do NOT want to get it wet like water colors. You want it to be thick. Tiny amount of alcohol.

I ordered a full set of Americolor airbrush colors today, so no more mixing with alcohol! YAY!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:01am
post #4 of 10

I also use vanilla extract if I want flavor ( it already has the alcohol in it)

Libberator3000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Libberator3000 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #5 of 10

Alidpayne, ...so you can paint the Americolor colors directly on fondant with a brush? I've been looking for colors I can paint with. Tried the gels...not so good.

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:42am
post #6 of 10

If using the Wilton gels and the vodka, when the alcohol evaporates will it dry completely or will it still be tacky?

tatorchip Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:55am
post #7 of 10

mine dry I live in the deep south so it takes a day.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:28am
post #8 of 10

for a small project i did using the wilton gel colors all i did was dip the toothpick in getting a small, but good sized, blob of gel on it, put it in the small color tray from wilton, then a tiny drop of clear vanilla in the little cavity. the i just dipped the brushed in the vanilla then kinda rubbed it against the toothpick with the gel. i hope that made sense! it worked for me, but probably not for a bigger project.

tatorchip Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #9 of 10

it will work just use it the same way but a larger portion but use the same formular icon_smile.gif

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libberator3000

Alidpayne, ...so you can paint the Americolor colors directly on fondant with a brush? I've been looking for colors I can paint with. Tried the gels...not so good.

Yes. You can paint with the airbrush colors straight onto the cake with a brush. It is a different consistency so that it will flow through the airbrush, so it is perfect for painting with as is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%