1St Homemade Mmf Recipe Not Good.

Decorating By Tika35 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm by Deb_

Tika35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tika35 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 7

I usually use Wilton fondant but I hate the taste of it, so,I made 2 batches of MMF using a recipe I found on CC. The taste was wonderful and everything worked out perfectly until I began to roll it out. I started getting air bubbles while rolling the MMF! It also did not smooth well on my cake. I did allow both batches to sit wrapped air tight at room temp for 2 days. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to prevent this next time? If you have any recipe suggestions that works well for you, it would be gladly appreciated! icon_wink.gif

6 replies
Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 7

I just made a batch last week of MMF that was PERFECT. I couldn't believe how easily it was to roll and work with and it went on beautifully.

I melted down 2 cups of marshmallows and stirred in my flavouring (didn't measure, just poured some in) - NO water. Then add in two cups of sifted powdered sugar. When the marshmallows are cooled and you can touch the mixture without it being TOO gooey, plop it onto the counter (along with whatever you can scrap out of the bowl that may not have been mixed in yet) and start kneading - just add more sugar slowly as you need it until you get it to be the right consistency, and then voila! Coat in crisco and wrap tightly in saran wrap. I was used to making it with water, but it was always so hard to work with. The no water part is key! It will still get the odd air bubble, but poking them with a pin (on an angle) gets rid of them.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 7

You should try Michele Foster's Fondant. I love MMF but I always got thos bubbles too! But not with MFF!!! So try it! It tastes similar to MMF and way better then packaged stuff!!!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 7

I too love Michele's fondant, but when I make MMF I knead it in my KA. Did you try nuking it for a few seconds before kneading it (before putting it on the cake?)? Another thing I like to do is add a couple T of glycerine to the recipe. It helps w/ pliability & I had no problems w/ my last batch.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 7

If the MMF is really pliable and soft try adding a bit more ps. Sometimes that solves the bubble problem. Make sure you only add a bit at a time, too much and it will break apart when you are working with it.

Tika35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tika35 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try all of these tips and see which one works best for me. I still have a batch of the MMF, so I am going to see how nuking it AND adding more PS works out so it doesn't go to waste. Thanks again!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 7

I love MMF too, but I find that if I rush the kneading step I'll get some air bubbles. So be sure you're kneading it long enough.

The glycerine is also a good tip that works for me as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%