Can You Bake From Home In Ohio? Do You Need A License?

Business By tracy1977 Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 1:19pm by KHalstead

tracy1977 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 13

I have been looking for info on baking from home in Ohio. From what I have found if I use my own kitchen I don't need anything...

12 replies
sambugjoebear Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 13

You don't have to be licensed in Ohio. You do have to have a license though if you want to sell fillings/foods that need to be temperature regulated (fruit/cream pies, etc). If you're thinking about getting licensed, you CANNOT have pets or have carpet in your kitchen.

Without the license, you would fall under the cottage food laws. You HAVE to use a regular oven that you would use for everyday use (make your family's meals). You also have to label everything that you sell with your name, address, phone number, item name, item ingredients, weight, and a line that says, "This product is home produced." It's a pain, but necessary.

If you have any other questions, just ask icon_smile.gif

tracy1977 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you!!

cheatize Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:32am
post #5 of 13

So the no carpet in the kitchen and no pets in the home does not apply to a cottage bakery?

That's the only part I get confused about.

sambugjoebear Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 13

You can have pets but are still not allowed to have carpet in the kitchen.

cheatize Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 13

I can always argue with hubby about the carpet, but not about the pets.

dlmcakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 13

I was curious about the license part as well. So technically I wouldn't need a license if I'm doing it from home.
I was also curious about the listing of ingredients, how do you list the ingredients for cake mixes and the other stuff that you use? Sounds silly I know but I'm not sure if I have to list everything like it is listed on the box?
If someone had an example that would be great.
Thank you very much icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 13

Yes, everything on the box. At least that part's already in descending order. Dunno where you'd put the eggs and oil on the list, though.

I saw a story on the local news tonight. The Franklin Co. health dept. spokesperson said you needed good water, too.

dlmcakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks cheatize! Yeah that's what I'm not sure about. I think I might be able to figure out the rest though.

I live in the city and have city water, no well water. I hope thats ok. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again.

KHalstead Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #11 of 13

does anyone have any info on filing taxes???

tracy1977 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #12 of 13

I do have well water but I always buy water to do my baking with. I am curious on filing taxes also. I was wondering about sales tax too, do you charge considering it is food?

KHalstead Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:19pm
post #13 of 13

I was told by a guy at the irs that you don't have to charge sales tax because you are already paying the sales tax when you buy your products, so the tax has already been paid on the ingredients. If you were licensed and had a tax i.d. number then you don't have to pay the sales tax on the items you purchase but you have to charge it. It also has something to do with the food not being eaten on premises which is a no no for cottage food laws. I believe you can do tastings on site if you don't charge for them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%