Gumpaste Hydrangea Questions...

Decorating By LeckieAnne Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 12:01am by LeckieAnne

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:55am
post #1 of 6

I am making a cake for my niece's wedding similar to this one...
http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/search/hydrangea

I ordered a hydrangea kit - makes them great, but I thought they were a little heavy. I made a sample spray on wires for her. For the wedding cake - I will be making them without the wires - cake will be fondant. Just wondering how I will attach them and not worry they'll be too heavy - or do I just need to make them much thinner. When I made them thinner - they didn't hold their shape well - do I just let the gumpaste dry some before I press them with the veiner? I can't imagine making and coloring them all when I'm decorating the cake (as opposed to making them ahead and letting them dry).

Also - (sorry for all the questions!) - I've been brushing the color on - and read a little bit somewhere about about "dipping". Has anyone done this? Something about putting the powder color in alcohol maybe and dipping the dried flowers in?

I made a shower cake for her with my sample spray - http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1428796&done=1
LL

5 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 6

When I make flowers I make them thin and I put them in round painting palate to dry (you can use flower formers) you can also shape foil into little cups and use that for drying flowers. I also dust them with powder color. What kind of gum paste recipe do you use?

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 6

Hydrangeas were one of the flowers I used for my parents' wedding anniversary cake (see my photos). I rolled by gumpaste thin but not so thin that you can see through the gumpaste or that it would tear when I pressed the veiner to it. I made my hydrangeas on wires individually and then hung them upside down overnight (You should have seen my kitchen with all of these hydrangeas) and once they were dried I dusted them with dry petal dust. I worried too about the heaviness of the bunch and so what I did was made the bunches smaller. For example, one of my standard bunches had 45 hydrangea blossom; a smaller bunch would have about 10-15 and then on the cake I would just but them as close together to make it look like a larger bunch but without the weight. Not sure if that made senseicon_smile.gif

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 6

Hydrangeas, need to be colored with powder dust, to achieve the many colors per flower thats natural of them. Dipping flowers is more to achieve deep color as in a very red rose.
A good gum-paste will accept you to rolled thin without a problem. Bunches need do be made if 10-15 flowers. Wire them, they look more professional in my opinion.
Dry them upside down for 24 hours before painting

LeckieAnne Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 6

I bought buckets of satin ice pre-made gumpaste. I'll try to roll it thinner, and hopefully that will help.

I don't know if you can see the one on pink cake box - but it doesn't look like they are wired at all - they cover the top of the teirs, and then are falling down over the sides. What should I "glue" them onto the fondant with? For the small things I've done in the past - I've just made a "glue" out of equal parts of meringue powder and water or just plain vanilla - but I don't think either of those will work to hold these blossoms on the sides after they've dried.

I did just brush on powdered colors (3 shades). They look nice - but it does take a long time! icon_smile.gif

LeckieAnne Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:01am
post #6 of 6

Moralna your anniversary cake was beautiful! That's not really the same effect as the one she wants - but it sure is pretty. I do see what you mean about smaller bunches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%