Make A Warming Box For Pulled Sugar?

Sugar Work By icer101 Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 5:31am by Melsablondy

cakesalot13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalot13 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:00pm
post #31 of 45

Ok, so I am building my own warming box, but where the hinges are located at the corners, I have a 1/4 gap, the plexiglass back and sides are not flush. Is this OK?- Will I loose too much heat through the gaps?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #32 of 45

Did you already drill your holes? Good for you if you did--Mine kept cracking--grrr--use a dull drill bit is the advice I got afterwards--but anyway--I sealed my edges with wide clear tape. Shoot I made my box with clear wide tape. icon_biggrin.gif Patched up my cracked hinge holes perfect. <insert grimacing smilie face here> sheesh...

I mean you are making a shield, a surround to control temperature. If air can pass through it you're adding an unnecessary variable.

I mean some pastry chefs don't even use a box...so whatever works.
But I made sure mine was sealed.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:35pm
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbuddy

If your looking for what type of wattage the lamp should be, I believe it is 250 watts. Hope this helps!

Here is a question, and I hope it's not a stupid question, lol.

At what temp should the box be at? I was wondering if I could use my gas oven as a warming box........

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #34 of 45

Ok, I am totally new to this, so please forgive me. I am determined to learn to do this, it's almost like I have become obsessed. I have read everything I can find, and no two articles are the same.

So if someone can "give it to me like a 5 year-old," I sure would appreciate it.

I had thought of making the plexiglass box with two heat lamps on the top, but I don't want to get started and find out I did everything wrong.

I would appreciate if anybody knows a good book or article, anything on how to get started.

Thank you!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:39am
post #35 of 45

We bought all the plexi glass, the light and bulbs, and were going to get started building the frame, then I saw Lauri using the food warmer. Checked them out on line, and found one for $70, much cheaper than building the box.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-free-standing-2-bulb-food-warmer/177W62.html It should be here any day.

We will see how this goes.

I am hoping to take a class with Lauri sometime this year, maybe after wedding season is over. I may need lot's of help from you guys!

Jacque2241 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jacque2241 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:23pm
post #36 of 45

deetmar,
Did you purchase the food warmer for your sugar work? Does it work well?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #37 of 45

Resurrecting this thread....not sure if I should have a friend build me the box or just buy that food warmer?

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:37am
post #38 of 45

I built my own box--but that looks so good for so cheap!
I'd so get that if I din already have mine.

Kitagrl Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:39am
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I built my own box--but that looks so good for so cheap!
I'd so get that if I din already have mine.

So it would work?

I'm thinking about forgoing on the box for now..I just want something to play with...and then if I need the box later, I can build one...right?

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:48am
post #40 of 45

Yes I mean the box itself just blocks air movement and holds the heat in--lots of pastry chefs don't even use the enclosure. And you can raise or lower your sugar or put it more direct or less direct into the spotlight to control heat. So man that thing is nice! If you get used to that and you're just using it in your shop (not taking it on the road where conditions need to be more controlled) you probably won't ever need an enclosure.

Pretty cool.

Kitagrl Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:57am
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Yes I mean the box itself just blocks air movement and holds the heat in--lots of pastry chefs don't even use the enclosure. And you can raise or lower your sugar or put it more direct or less direct into the spotlight to control heat. So man that thing is nice! If you get used to that and you're just using it in your shop (not taking it on the road where conditions need to be more controlled) you probably won't ever need an enclosure.

Pretty cool.

'

Oh goody!!!!! icon_smile.gif

It will just be in my kitchen...do I need to protect my countertop other than with a silicone mat?

I have the Restaurant Store local, I should be able to go buy one there...and of course I read in this thread to use red bulbs....even though it seems that would affect your ability to see colors correctly....

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #42 of 45

I totally thought that too about the red light bulb & colors but believe me you cannot freaking see after you look into that white light for a while--so it's a toss up, blind yourself comnpletely or work a little harder on color mixing.

And if you add color it is better to add it to the pot over on the stove because you can boil out a bit of the moisture because otherwise it makes the sugar sticky.

I used a wooden cutting board then a silpat and my light was adjustable up & down too. Oh yeah I put a dimmer switch on mine too. So I had a lot of control. You'll have to figure out how to make your adjustments so your stuff doesn't re-melt under there if it's too close to the lamp.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:28am
post #43 of 45

I took a demo at convention in aug. with Marilyn Santos-Mcnabb. She is the best sugar artist at the convention that i have ever seen. She was so down to earth. Told us we did not need all that expensive equipment. She told us to just use a single 250 watt heat lamp. This one that is in the link is also good. Country Kitchen shows that one in their sugar book. Anyway, marilyn, just said to use the 250 watt heat lamp, silicone mat and a small micro wave. Just a small one and use little heat to reheat the sugar as you use it. Jing, was helping her and that is what he did, he kept the sugar warm in the microwave for her.It was a wonderful demo.So if you see her name again for the convention, please take her demo. what she showed and did , she made so simple. hth

Kitagrl Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:29am
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

I took a demo at convention in aug. with Marilyn Santos-Mcnabb. She is the best sugar artist at the convention that i have ever seen. She was so down to earth. Told us we did not need all that expensive equipment. She told us to just use a single 250 watt heat lamp. This one that is in the link is also good. Country Kitchen shows that one in their sugar book. Anyway, marilyn, just said to use the 250 watt heat lamp, silicone mat and a small micro wave. Just a small one and use little heat to reheat the sugar as you use it. Jing, was helping her and that is what he did, he kept the sugar warm in the microwave for her.It was a wonderful demo.So if you see her name again for the convention, please take her demo. what she showed and did , she made so simple. hth

What kind of stand was it connected to?

Melsablondy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melsablondy Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:31am
post #45 of 45

Anyone ever try to make a sugar pump out of a blood pressure pump and copper tube??? I was thinking I would try. I'm pretty good at rigging things up to save a buck. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%