Decorating By 1dessertdiva Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 3:22am by Cricketina

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #151 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by emccle

"monkey butt" brown??? is that darker or lighter than warm chocolate?

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ROTFL!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:54pm
post #152 of 184

In our high school home economic rooms we had gas cookers and ovens with a push button to light the gas. In Year 9, I couldn't get the grill lit. After about 10 clicks of the button I bent down to look, pushed the button again and whoosh - all that gas lit along with my "rather large - hairspray filled fringe!"

I thought I was going to be in trouble and didn't want my teacher to know. Unfortunately all she had to do was look at all the smoke coming from my fringe! Aaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhh - but we thought we were totally cool!
icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm
post #153 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiele

In our high school home economic rooms we had gas cookers and ovens with a push button to light the gas. In Year 9, I couldn't get the grill lit. After about 10 clicks of the button I bent down to look, pushed the button again and whoosh - all that gas lit along with my "rather large - hairspray filled fringe!"

I thought I was going to be in trouble and didn't want my teacher to know. Unfortunately all she had to do was look at all the smoke coming from my fringe! Aaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhh - but we thought we were totally cool!
icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

let's all sing now --

You LIGHT UP my life! (literally!)

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:03pm
post #154 of 184

post deleted. decided it was too long to bug ya with icon_smile.gif

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:04pm
post #155 of 184

OP: Sorry this happened to you. I hope you have moved on. Keep your chin up.....NOBODY is perfect. Thank you for sharing this valuable lesson, as a newbie I have learned a lot from it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #156 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

Had to check in and look at my year book. Big hair ring a bell? So many Madonna look a likes, the 80's questioned everything in terms of taste.

I thought the 70s did that!

70's was Farrah Fawcett (and yeah, I DID look hot with Farrah hair!).

tararenee29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tararenee29 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:15pm
post #157 of 184

in a year I haven't hardly posted at all and now I've posted three 3 times, this story just really struck a nerve I guess. I thought people posted there problems on here to vent and get encouragement and suggestions to help you out next time, but there are so many negative comments. If we don't like something shouldn't we keep that to ourselves. As my mom taught me "if you don't have anything nice to say...." I just feel worse for the op now having been berated by the MOB and fellow CCers. as cake decorators don't we see our own flaws enough not to have them pointed out. My cakes aren't all beauties as I'm self taught and really new at this but no one ever talks about how they taste? my cakes tatste good and I'm sure so did some of the cake disasters. Thank you for letting me vent now. icon_wink.gif doesn't anyone care how they taste? hehe

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:03am
post #158 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by tararenee29

in a year I haven't hardly posted at all and now I've posted three 3 times, this story just really struck a nerve I guess. I thought people posted there problems on here to vent and get encouragement and suggestions to help you out next time, but there are so many negative comments. If we don't like something shouldn't we keep that to ourselves. As my mom taught me "if you don't have anything nice to say...." I just feel worse for the op now having been berated by the MOB and fellow CCers. as cake decorators don't we see our own flaws enough not to have them pointed out. My cakes aren't all beauties as I'm self taught and really new at this but no one ever talks about how they taste? my cakes tatste good and I'm sure so did some of the cake disasters. Thank you for letting me vent now. icon_wink.gif doesn't anyone care how they taste? hehe

Lol.. of course we care how they taste icon_smile.gif I think the comments regarding the OP's cake was more in terms of the fact that it looked rushed and that she did not spend enough time fixing things that could easily be fixed (such as a more even ribbon line). I think if she had time she would have fixed the issues, yet was too booked and did not have enough time (assumption). The lesson learned here is to not over extend yourself. I sadly learned that lesson a few months ago and now I'm a little too cautious and overestimate how much time it takes.. lol icon_confused.gif

When someone is paying top dollar for a cake, the purchaser is expecting a cake of quality, not a sloppy one in comparison to their other cakes. If you look at the OP's cakes, she has great talent and all the ones I saw seemed to be more detail oriented than the cake that was refused by the MOB.

Regardless of that, the MOB acted with absolutely no class and there is no excuse for her behavior. On the other hand, the OP has shown nothing but class in this discussion as well as her actions in regards to the incident. She deserves props.

1dessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1dessertdiva Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #159 of 184

icon_biggrin.gif I am OK now, I have a bit more time ( only 2 specialty cakes and sheet cakes this week)and feel the need to extend the details of that day.
I have to admit it is my fault, it was slightly rushed, and more over, I had an extern I allowed to do a few tiers while I worked on other things, so SHAME on me TWICE!! I am supposed to train my extern and keep a close eye on progress or lack there of, no I am not trying to shift blame at all (HONESTLY) icon_redface.gif Truly most of my cakes are very scrutinized and from here on will be more so.
The cake flavor was spot on it was made from scratch as are the fillings and frostings as well as the fondant.
I do have to say the ribbon was wider than it should have been, however if I had been a professional and paid the type of attention I should have at the very least I could have extended each tier 1/2" or more and it may have looked better.
I do have to say even counting years back this is the ugliest cake I have ever made and will do my best to forget about it quickly.
I truly appreciate the opportunity to belong to a group like this that cares as much about cake and quality as I generally do.
Thanks again.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #160 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronica

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Doug: the "EEK -- what were we thinking?!?!?!" factor grows every decade!

Are you by any chance referring to the BROWN tuxes that my husband and the ushers wore at our 1977 wedding?

A friend showed me a picture from his parents' late-70's wedding, and all the poor groomsmen were in PINK from head to toe -- even their shoes!

How about this fabulous blue creation.. ( My mom's wedding , not mine) but still SSSOOOOO Groovy.. 1976 That's me in the blue & white dress...

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #161 of 184

I love the "Hollie Hobbie" look!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #162 of 184

OMG JamieAnn I love those pictures! You were sooo cute!

Remember those "picture hats" 2 of my sisters were married in the early 70's and we had to wear those stupid things...I wish I had a picture. The ushers wore those blue tuxedo's too with the frilly ruffle shirts.

Geez.......we all really thought we looked so classy didn't we? icon_lol.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:11am
post #163 of 184

Yup... that was High falutin back then! Thinkin we were all fancy!.... LOL

tararenee29 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:45am
post #164 of 184

I tried my best to pick out nice dresses for my bridesmaids, ones I thought they could wear again so there wouldn't be embarrasing photots floating around in years to come. None of them had the length altered so they still complained about how they looked. hehe

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #165 of 184

Boy, this thread made a sharp turn to embrrassing fashions of the 70's.

Deb_ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #166 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Boy, this thread made a sharp turn to embrrassing fashions of the 70's.

I know I think it was Doug's fault! icon_lol.gif

tararenee29 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #167 of 184

thank's doug! it was a great way to lighten the mood! icon_smile.gif

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #168 of 184

The only posts in this thread that I read thoroughly was the OP's. I skimmed through the rest. I don't recall reading or seeing anything about what the BRIDE said about the cake or should I say pictures of the cake and what they ultimately did for cake that night.

Just curious.....

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:51am
post #169 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisyone2

The only posts in this thread that I read thoroughly was the OP's. I skimmed through the rest. I don't recall reading or seeing anything about what the BRIDE said about the cake or should I say pictures of the cake and what they ultimately did for cake that night.

Just curious.....

cake picture on page 5

she hasn't heard from the bride yet.

1dessertdiva Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #170 of 184

Pages 9 & 11 sum it all up! icon_smile.gif
I've come clean and confessed all my mistakes (OK not all icon_lol.gif )
This is a new cake week I only have a replica of the "Black Pearl" and a standard 3-tier with 1/2 sheet so I actually have some human time, however I have a busy week next week (REALLY BUSY!)
I have learned valuable, COSTLY lessons as well as humilty and even if I have to pull all nighters every night I vow "This will never happen again!"

Thanks to everyone who was able to help, who extended good wishes and hugs and offered constructive criticism I appreciate the attention!

Joan

P.S.
I have since updated my profile as well as added a few pictures (Old & New)

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #171 of 184

OP, I don't care how bad things got, that cake was not awful. The MOB had no right to talk to you like that. I can't imagine what a rush wedding cake would look like that would be any better. I know that there is no way a grocery store cake would taste as good as yours. You do great work and this horrid MOB needs to be forgotten.

Deb_ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:46am
post #172 of 184

I agree with jlynnw......no adult needs to act as this woman did. You handled yourself with such professionalism and class.

I think we all learned something valuable from this...good luck this week and for crying out loud, take a day off!!! You need it! icon_biggrin.gif

1dessertdiva Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:38pm
post #173 of 184

Day off???? I get my first in 42 days this Sunday and I am looking forward to it!! Then it's back to the lunacy which is my life icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #174 of 184

woohoo! It is party time! Breakfast in bed followed by a spa day to be pampered then home to dinner cateered by hubby icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif may my fantasy life become your reality! icon_lol.gif

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:33am
post #175 of 184

I believe that too many people put WAY too much emphasis on the wedding and not the marriage... my wedding was only 4 years ago. I used two frozen cheesecakes from target. Total $30.... We are still happily married and I don't even think about the cake...except that it tasted yummy.

If you forget about the brides awful ribbon choice, you can see that your fondant looks smooth and the piping is beautiful. Aside from minor imperfections (the height of the short layer was all I could see) the cake is beautiful. Put some flowers on that bad boy and it could have saved it if the MOB wasn't such a B****.

So sorry you had to go through that... BTW, I absolutely LOVE the red and green piped art deco type flowery cake you did.... icon_biggrin.gif I only hope that my cakes can look as good as yours someday!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #176 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dessertdiva

Her Mom made me take it away, including the sheet cake!
She said she was going to get a supermarket cake.
So she was more interested in ruining her daughters day, then looking for an alternative.

What supermarket has wedding cakes on hand?

Sounds like a money issue and she was trying to come out looking like the victim.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #177 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

Had to check in and look at my year book. Big hair ring a bell? So many Madonna look a likes, the 80's questioned everything in terms of taste.

I thought the 70s did that!

70's was Farrah Fawcett (and yeah, I DID look hot with Farrah hair!).

I had the Farrah hair, and my sister had a smokin' Dorothy Hamill bowl cut! Between the two of us we were super foxy!!! icon_lol.gif

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:17pm
post #178 of 184

I would just like to ask why the cake was not viewed before the wedding?
Just wondered because when ever I make a wedding cake I always have it ready to view on the Thursday evening (If the wedding is at the weekend) so that if there are any problems or things that need changing I have plenty of time to change it before the big day.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm
post #179 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Karen

I would just like to ask why the cake was not viewed before the wedding?
Just wondered because when ever I make a wedding cake I always have it ready to view on the Thursday evening (If the wedding is at the weekend) so that if there are any problems or things that need changing I have plenty of time to change it before the big day.

Because fruitcake is not the standard cake in the US and rolled icings are only now starting to be more widely used. Most customers would consider a cake that is finished Thursday for a Saturday wedding to not be fresh. It is the norm for the cake to be finished Friday or even Saturday morning, just before delivery.

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:29pm
post #180 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Because fruitcake is not the standard cake in the US and rolled icings are only now starting to be more widely used. Most customers would consider a cake that is finished Thursday for a Saturday wedding to not be fresh. It is the norm for the cake to be finished Friday or even Saturday morning, just before delivery.

OIC I understand now. Thanks icon_smile.gif
I only ever use fondant could not work with anything else, makes life a lot easier icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%