Please Help...lemon Curd

Baking By artchck Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm by eatdessert1st

artchck Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 12

Hey....decided to make my first filled cake (lemon curd). It has been chilling for about 4 hours and seems to not be thickening. The recipe said to chill for at least 2 hours.

Its been 4 and looks like runny pudding. Does it need to chill overnight? I should mention that this is just for me and my boyfriend.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

11 replies
paolacaracas Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:06am
post #2 of 12

You can use it, it's ok.
I like it better for cake when I mix it with buttercream. you can even put a little bit of limoncello liquor on to simple sirope and sprickle the cake with it.
if you are going to use it without mixing make a buttercream dam around the border so the lemon curd don't run to the sides

artchck Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 12

thanks, I guess I thought it would be thicker

paolacaracas Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 12

It should be thicker, but if you didn't t got it, you don't need to throw it away

flourpowerMN Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 12

Even after sitting in the fridge overnight, mine is like yours...somewhat runny pudding. I agree with paolacaracas, mix it with a little buttercream if you like. Definitely do the dam border tho, even if it is thick.

Larkin121 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:55am
post #6 of 12

It should be the texture of sour cream before you take it off the heat. It happens right at 160 degrees. I had it thinner once and it was because I just couldn't quite get it to 160 degrees in the bowl I was using. Even just a few degrees makes a pretty big difference for me. Mine is the same texture whether warm or cold.

flourpowerMN Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:31am
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the tip Larkin!

artchck Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 12

awesome! thanks for the tip!

eatdessert1st Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 12

Rose Levy Berenbaum's recipe always works for me. She says to get it up to 196F. I use a double boiler so I don't make scrambled eggsicon_smile.gif

RLBs Lemon Curd

4 large egg yolks (74 grams)
½ C + 2 T sugar (125 grams)
3 fluid oz lemon juice, freshly squeezed (94 grams)
4 T unsalted butter, softened (57 grams)
Pinch of salt
2 t lemon zest

In a heavy saucepan beat the yolks and sugar until well blended. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the zest. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and resembling a thin hollandaise sauce, which thickly coats a wooden spoon but is still liquid enough to pour. The mixture will change from translucent to opaque and begin to take on a yellow color on the back of a wooden spoon. It must not be allowed to boil or it will curdle. Whenever steam appears, remove briefly from heat, stirring constantly, to keep from boiling. When the curd has thickened, pour at once into a strainer. Press with the back of a spoon until only coarse residue remains. Discard the residue. Stir in the lemon zest and cool. Pour into an airtight container. The curd will continue to thicken while resting and chilling.
*if you are working with an accurate thermometer, the temperature of the thickened curd will be 196F.
Store: 3 weeks refrigerated

artchck Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdessert1st

Rose Levy Berenbaum's recipe always works for me. She says to get it up to 196F. I use a double boiler so I don't make scrambled eggsicon_smile.gif

RLBs Lemon Curd

4 large egg yolks (74 grams)
½ C + 2 T sugar (125 grams)
3 fluid oz lemon juice, freshly squeezed (94 grams)
4 T unsalted butter, softened (57 grams)
Pinch of salt
2 t lemon zest

In a heavy saucepan beat the yolks and sugar until well blended. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the zest. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and resembling a thin hollandaise sauce, which thickly coats a wooden spoon but is still liquid enough to pour. The mixture will change from translucent to opaque and begin to take on a yellow color on the back of a wooden spoon. It must not be allowed to boil or it will curdle. Whenever steam appears, remove briefly from heat, stirring constantly, to keep from boiling. When the curd has thickened, pour at once into a strainer. Press with the back of a spoon until only coarse residue remains. Discard the residue. Stir in the lemon zest and cool. Pour into an airtight container. The curd will continue to thicken while resting and chilling.
*if you are working with an accurate thermometer, the temperature of the thickened curd will be 196F.
Store: 3 weeks refrigerated

The recipe I used was at did not go that far into detail. It said it should be like thin hollandaise, but didn't go further. I will use this recipe next time.

Thank you everyone who gave tips. I tried the SMBC last night for the first time (to go with this) and let me tell you...I don't think I have ever had this in my life. It is CRAZY good. Light and not too sweet...I am a convert.

Mike1394 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #11 of 12

[quote="eatdessert1st"]Rose Levy Berenbaum's recipe always works for me. She says to get it up to 196F. I use a double boiler so I don't make scrambled eggsicon_smile.gif

Are you sure 196? At 196 you could use a triple boiler and, you'll get scrambled eggs.

Mike

eatdessert1st Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm
post #12 of 12

[quote="Mike1394"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdessert1st

Are you sure 196? At 196 you could use a triple boiler and, you'll get scrambled eggs.

Mike

Hey, Mike: double checked to be sure in her Cake Bible and it does say 196F. I've made it several times and as long as I keep whisking it over low-med. heat it works well. It seems to take FOREVER to get it up that high over low-med heat but it does thicken well a bit below 196F. And it keep thickening up as it cools. When I discard the residue pressed through the strainer there are a few scrambled bits but not much. HTH
Melanie Mc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%