I Need Some Cookie Advice!!

Baking By Hollygb22 Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm by TracyLH

Hollygb22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollygb22 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:59am
post #1 of 6

Hello Everyone!

a lurker once in a while poster needs some advice!

i have a cookie order due friday. I made a couple samples today, since I had a near disaster last week with an order!

The cookies are for a bachelorette party. The brides colors are hot pink and black. I'm making a cookie that looks like a cosmopolitan..a martini glass cookie and I decorated in with Antonia's RI.

Once I made the cookies, I could see that the stem of the martini glass was a little fragile. I was very careful with them. I decorated them and let them dry..still no issues.

I bagged the sampled and tied them with ribbon. I just went to pick up four of the cookies that are in the treat bags and every single cookie snapped right where the top of the martini glass hits the stem

any advice? This isn't a huge order..one thought was to make tons of extras for breakage purposes! But, I had a graduation cap cookie order and the skinny tassles all broke.

is there any way to reinforce skinny parts of the cookies that tend to break?

Thanks!

5 replies
mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 6

Good question!

Bump!

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #3 of 6

I would make your cookies thicker. I make fairly thick cookies and almost never have problems with breakage. Another option if you aren't making too many cookies is to make your own martini glass template with a wider stem and cut out the cookies. I would definitely make extra and reinforce your packaging by putting packaging bubbles between each layer.

HTH!

fergiesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fergiesgirl Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:17am
post #4 of 6

How about baking a rectangular cookie, and then drawing the martini glass on using the icing? That way there should not be any breaking points!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:36am
post #5 of 6

Making them thicker is an excellent suggestion. I like my cookies 3/8" at least.

You could also use RI to "glue" a cookie stick to the back to reinforce the stem. Use a star tip and pipe a thin zigzag of icing. Gently push a stick onto the back.

Or, you can cut a piece of cardboard and then cover it in cake foil. Apply a dot of RI and stick the cookie on so that it doesn't slide. Bag and tie with ribbon.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 6

I back my fragile cookies with cake board (for example, my wine cookies and my electric guitars). I cut cake board, food safe acetate and colored paper to the size of my cello bag. I sandwich the cakeboard on the bottom, followed by the paper and then the acetate. Place the cookie on top, slip it in your cello and no breakage and or butter staining on the cake board! thumbs_up.gif Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%