Can You Flavor Gumpaste With Lorann Oils?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 2:59am by TexasSugar

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #1 of 6

If gumpaste tastes so yucky then can I add some Lorann oil to it for better flavor? What flavor is nicer?

Thanks

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 6

The reason that most people don't eat gumpaste is because it dries rock hard.

If you make it with tylose instead of gum-tex, then it doesn't have that smell (haven't tasted either one though).

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 6

gumpaste is edible but i wouldnt suggest anyone really eat it. it has wires and it was rolled and re rolled. the oil may also prevent it from drying.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:23am
post #4 of 6

You can flavor fondant with the oils, so I can't see why you couldn't do the same for gumpaste.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #5 of 6

never heard of anyone...anyone.. flavoring g/p with anything. i never have either.. its dries so hard. who would even attempt to eat it.. i think it would change the consistency of the g/p.. make it sticky. then you would have to add powder sugar. then it could crack on you ,etc.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #6 of 6

Wilton's premade has vanilla in it. So some have flavorings in them.

When you use the concentrated oils it doesn't take very much, so it really shouldn't affect the consistancy like adding an liquid extract. I say try it in a small bit of it, and see what happens. If anything you could have sweet smelling flowers. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%