More Questions About Fondant

Decorating By agentdorkfish Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm by agentdorkfish

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 3

I made MMF this morning and it actually turned out great! I cut out some flowers and to my surprise, they weren't half bad. Now, the question is how do I color it? All I have is gel food coloring and liquid food coloring. Can I color the marshmallows before I add the sugar?

Also, how do I add the fondant decorations if the cake isn't going to be covered in fondant? (I'm just going to use the buttercream) Also, how long does it take for fondant to harden?

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 3

You can knead in some gel color, or if you need to make a whole batch that's a single color, add the color to the marshmallows before you add the sugar. You can also paint your finished flowers with gel color thinned with vodka.

If you put the flowers on the cake before the buttercream crusts, they'll stick, unless they're really big and heavy (like roses) in which case they probably wouldn't stay on the sides.

The drying time depends on how thick the flowers are and the humidity in your house. Most fondant flowers that I've made were dry enough within a day to keep their shape when put on a cake.

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 3

Ok, thanks! I still have fondant left from yesterday, so I'm going to try kneading in some color. I'm not satisfied with the flowers I made yesterday, so I'm going to try again. And this time, I'm going to try to not make them so thick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%