Pricing Please.

Decorating By mrscromer Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm by FromScratch

mrscromer Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 8

I just had a lady call me wanting a 3 tier cake. 12, 10, and 8 inch rounds. I'm assuming it's two of each. Just covered in buttercream and smoothed out as much as possible. Wanting me to stack them together with dowels in them also. I have never had a request like this. She did not tell me how many people this was to feed either.

What would you charge for something like this? I'm not sure. Thanks for your help and suggestions they are always very much appreciated.

7 replies
FromScratch Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 8

well that's 65 servings for me so what do you charge per serving? I'd charge $5/serving... but that's me. is she looking to decorate it herself? It is an odd request.

CakeRx Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 8

What's your base rate for a plain cake for 118 people? It sounds like she knows how to decorate a cake (or knows someone who does) but doesn't have the facilities or time to bake it herself. I'd charge the base rate for 118 stacked "bare bones". I wouldn't send it out in your personalized boxes, though.

christinapp Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 8

Sounds to me that someone just wants you to bake for her, and she will take care of the other details.
I'd charge per seving like any other cake/order.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 8

Sounds like (and keep in mind, I like to fantasize, NOT like that, I mean I get creative, oh! Ok, moving on!icon_biggrin.gif) SOUNDS like someone is looking to pass this cake off as their own, after they add their own touches to it! No way Jose'!

CakeRx Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 8

FromScratch, Do you cut and serve your own cakes? I've always used the old standby Wilton serving suggestion to price my wedding cakes. I wonder if I've been overpricing! icon_sad.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 8

YAY! Jeanne is on blogspot!! Oh, I gotta go see....I love a good blog!

FromScratch Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 8

Oh gosh... that's more than 65 servings... I was thinking 6-8-10. an 8-1012 would be 105 servings for me. Sorry about that... icon_redface.gif

I just round to the nearest 5 for servings... makes for easier math on the fly. (apparently not easy enough though LMAO) You are certainly not over charging.

And I had to LOL for you Jamie... my blog is not much of anything just yet. I am going to get cracking on it when I get back from vacation though. I promise! icon_wink.gif You'll have to let me know if you want anything covered... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%