Baking, Freezing & Timeline

Decorating By noosie Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 2:43am by Rylan

noosie Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 5

Hey Guys,

Never done this before so need advice. I'll be making WASC cake with a whipped ganache filling and covered in fondant. The cake is due on a Saturday, how far in advance can I bake & freeze the WASC without jeopardizing the integrity of it. Never froze cake before so I'm a bit nervous. I will fill and cover with fondant on Friday.

Once filled with a whipped chocolate ganache, should it be refrigerated or can it be kept cool on the counter???

Many Thanks!!!

4 replies
jardot22 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 5

Yes you can definitely freeze your cake. I bake mine about a week in advance and freeze them. I know some decorators even freeze cakes for several months and they still taste fresh. For a Saturday cake, I take them out on Thursday and allow them to thaw in the wrappings, then fill and crumbcoat that evening (I work full-time). Then on Friday, I cover in fondant and decorate. You should be just fine to leave the cake on the counter as well. There are varying opinions on refrigerating ganache, but if truffles can be left at room temperature, I don't see any reason why ganache can't be left out as well.

noosie Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the tips. Quick question, do you thaw cake on counter or fridge?

jardot22 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 5

I've done both actually, and either way is fine. Lately I've just been thawing them on the counter though.

Rylan Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 5

Frozen cakes may thaw as fast at 30 minutes on the counter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%