Act Of Kindness?????

Lounge By majormichel Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm by cabecakes

tatechloeandlucysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:14am
post #61 of 189

Hello again... 2nd poster here. icon_smile.gif
When our son Tate was born, we were so blessed to be visited by tons of people wishing us well. At nights we would giggle as my husband sang silly songs to Tate while I tried to learn how to nurse him properly.

One evening (we had some scary complications and were there a few days) we casually mentioned that the people on the other side of our wall must get sick of all of the people coming and going and our laughing and singing at all hours.

When it came time to leave, we had some balloons that we didn't know what to do with (they wouldn't fit in the car and I was a paranoid 1st time mommy) -so, we asked the nurse to please give them to a family with a son who hadn't had many visitors or gifts, and to please just tell them that someone brought them for them but couldn't stay. The nurse looked at us for a second, cleared her throat and told us that the "kids" on the other side of the wall were very young, had had a son, and that NO ONE (that still chokes me up) had come to visit them. Not even the grand parents. (Now, I know that the nurse broke HIPPA by telling me this, but, I swear, it happened.)

Anyway, now every year for the kids' birthdays (we've missed 2 I think) we bundle up, get in the car, and bring some special new baby some mylar balloons from our parties. We tell the nurses that they know who the balloons belong to better than we do. -hee, last time, a few nurses remembered us... a nice feeling, but not necessary.
We are trying to teach the babies about sharing from the start and without personal gain (which doesn't work, because we all get so so much from doing it. icon_wink.gif )

Anyway, thanks for letting me share. You are wonderful people here! -Laura

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:02am
post #62 of 189

I am only on page three but NatiMF30 I am proud to say I think the younger generation is getting it. My 17 yr. old son was in a store while I was waiting in the car. Here he comes out with an older lady in a motorized chair. He had the things she purchased and put them in the car and got her all ready to go in her car. Come to find out she got to the automatic doors and her chair had a mechanical problem a young couple behind her was getting mad telling her to hurry up so my son did the best he could to fix the problem then helped her to her car. I find it funny because he is always trying do what he can to help people. The thing is he is almost 6', lifts weights and has long curly hair that hangs down to the middle of his back. He gets a lot of strange looks. By the way he is donating his hair to locks of love.

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:04am
post #63 of 189

I think the tears have finally stopped enough for me to write about my stories--but they don't hold a candle to what I've read about so far. :*-)

1--When my husband and I were engaged, he went on a business trip to DC that was supposed to be three days long. Due to heavy snow storms, he didn't come home for two entire weeks! Valentine's Day arrived during that time and I'd sent him a card at his home, thinking he'd be there at some point to read it.

That night at work, halfway through my first set, my then-future MIL rushed in and plopped a flowerpot full of silk roses on the piano. She said those were from her son; he'd asked her to get me some flowers for Valentine's Day that were sure to last until he got home. He finally did come home a week later. That was fifteen years ago and that bouquet has a place of honor in our dining room.

2--Last April my mom ended up in the ICU with cardiac failure, respiratory failure, and flash pulmonary edema. She nearly died twice and finally came home on May 30th. Her 70th b-day was June 10th but her docs forbade her to have a party because her heart couldn't handle the excitement. (My dad ended up having to cancel the surprise party he'd arranged months before.) My sister and I immediately got to work--we contacted every single person on that guest list, over a hundred people--and any other person we could think of that knows and loves my mom. We asked them to take a picture of themselves eating a piece of any type of cake and write a birthday greeting on the pic.

The responses we got were overwhelming. Everyone from her classmates in kindergarten to my senior prom date (and his dog!!!) to my daughter's entire fourth grade class sent in pictures, cards, letters and emails. Some came from as far away as Italy and Switzerland! Sis and I printed them all out and I put them all into a scrapbook that I titled, "We Celebrate a Miracle." I gave that to Mom last month. She laughed til she cried and cried til she laughed. I was just happy she is here with us!

If I think of any more stories to add, I certainly will. This thread is GREAT!!! Keep those stories coming!

--PianoDiva

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:41am
post #64 of 189

Yes enjoy her why you have her............that was a lovely story. Makes me miss my mum

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:44am
post #65 of 189

Mine was a small act of kindness but I hope it helped. My daughter is a nurse and she works with an Indian nurse who has just come to Australia with his new wife. He was able to pass the languafe test so was able to obtain residency but his wife failed because her English isn't so good. I made some cupcakes one day for my daughter to share at work and he asked for the recipe for his wife, thinking it would help with her language skills plus give her something to do. I gave him a new cupcake book that I was saving for a present. As I said, a very small act but he was over the moon.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:48pm
post #66 of 189

kathyx1, it's the little things that count!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:57pm
post #67 of 189

I have another one!

My good friend Katie worked with a really sweet Indian girl, whos husband came over from India cause he got transferred to the US for his job. Within 6 months, her husband was laid off, due to cutbacks and they had no income.

They lost their house, their car, and what little they had and had to move into Section 8 housing. To put the icing on the cake, she got pregnant by accident and was petrified about being able to afford the baby. She ended up with a job at a bank call center, but has no family, no friends, and no one to even think about throwing her a baby shower.

My friend Katie organized a work shower for her and told me her story so of course I donated a free cake to the cause. I also donated a bassinet, a play pen, a swing, a stroller, and a bouncer, because I dont need them anymore. Everything was used but in very good condition. Nadjia was so thrilled with her cake and all of the gifts that she cried the entire shower. She gave me a huge hug and thanked Katie and I for everything, even though I didnt really know her, she was just a co-worker of a friend.

I really do believe in karma...

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:57pm
post #68 of 189

My uncle carried quarters wherever he went and if he saw a child, he would give them a quarter. The kids at church loved him! When the new state quarters came out, he would hurry to the bank and have several rolls ready for the kids. He died last September and his funeral was packed with kids and those who had been kids and recipients of quarters over the years (standing room only, people came from everywhere!). The pastor called all the kids to the front and the ushers gave them shiny new state quarters. Then the offering plate was passed to the adults and we were instructed to TAKE a quarter from the plate icon_smile.gif . There were no dry eyes in the building.
I learned from him what a simple act can mean- I now carry quarters with me and I delight in watching those little faces light up when you hand them a quarter. I know now that he got more from it than he ever could have given.

twingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twingirl Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #69 of 189

There is a residential foster care home in the town where I live. About 2 1/2 years ago I called them up and asked what they do for the children's birthdays. They said they purchased a cake from the local supermarket and buy them a small gift. I had never had any cake decorating classes but I told the Director, if she would allow me, I would like to make a homemade birthday cake for each resident for their birthday. She said that would be great as that money came out of their already strapped budget. She gives me a list of the resident's birthdays and their ages. I contact her the week before their birthday and ask what kind of cake they would like. I try my best to make a cake especially for them. I have made Scooby Doo, Hannah Montana, Sponge Bob, etc. I also give them a small gift. She called me one day and said when one of the little girls, an 11 year old, had to go to Court, the Judge asked her how she liked being at the foster home. She told him it was great and that there was this lady called "Miss G" who makes a birthday cake especially for them on their birthdays with whatever they want on it. It made me cry to know that it was so special to these children some of which may have never even had a birthday cake. I am truly blessed by making these cakes and I will have to say they now look much better now than they did at the beginning!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #70 of 189

My DD has been sick and have real bad siezures. We have to be with her 24/7 even when she is asleep. This has been going on now for a few days and a trip to the children's hospital, after a family reunion/aniversary party for my parents, and back and forth I have been totally exhausted. My DS decided that he would watch her while she took a nap so I could take a break. He is autistic and sounded so nice but.. He called his gal pal to come and help. She is "normal" and I thought they could handle it. I woke up, her entire family came over, cleaned the house and brought over paper goods (plates, silverware, napkins, cups) and set us up for meals for the next week. I was so surprised that this family would do it. She said is was to thank me for letting her granddaughter having a small party in our back yard a few weeks ago.

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #71 of 189

Love, love the stories.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:45pm
post #72 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterpatty

My uncle carried quarters wherever he went and if he saw a child, he would give them a quarter. The kids at church loved him! When the new state quarters came out, he would hurry to the bank and have several rolls ready for the kids. He died last September and his funeral was packed with kids and those who had been kids and recipients of quarters over the years (standing room only, people came from everywhere!). The pastor called all the kids to the front and the ushers gave them shiny new state quarters. Then the offering plate was passed to the adults and we were instructed to TAKE a quarter from the plate icon_smile.gif . There were no dry eyes in the building.
I learned from him what a simple act can mean- I now carry quarters with me and I delight in watching those little faces light up when you hand them a quarter. I know now that he got more from it than he ever could have given.

I love all the stories, and this may be the best one yet. So awesome!

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #73 of 189

I know this is nothing compared to y'alls stories, but I'm a big animal lover. Years ago when Hurricane Katrina hit, we heard that they were sending lots of stray pets to Dallas. My husband and I went to Walmart and took all their 40-50 lb bags of dog food and the big bags of cat food that they had on the shelves along with water bowls and kitty litter boxes to the SPCA. And although we were strapped for money (DH was laid off), I just couldn't bear the thought that these animals who have lost their owners and homes would go hungry. I felt better knowing that I did something to help them.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:34pm
post #74 of 189

You guys are posting the most beautiful stories of good deeds! You all should be so proud of yourselves, because these beautiful stories make beautiful people.

texasbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbelle Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #75 of 189

I must share one of our family stories. My husband is an oncologist and the first question most people ask is "How does he do it?". It is his calling. I worked for many years managing his office and truly loved the experience of visitng with the patients and their families. About 3 years ago, a young lady was referred to him. For privacy's sake, I'll call her "Grace". Grace was 23 y/o and had just been diagnosed with a form of cancer called neuroblastoma. Grace had just graduated from college, was about to begin her teaching career, and was also making wedding plans. The wedding was put on hold so that she might begin chemotherapy. Now we have daughter almost the same age as Grace so this situation felt particularly close to home for us.

Grace had done everything right. She had gone to college. She had become engaged to her college sweetheart. Grace was a lovely Christian young lady who had "saved" herself for her future husband. Then life hits her hard with cancer. How horrible could this be? Grace had the most loving, caring family. My husband and I got wind that Grace and her parents were trying to renovate an old run down house so she could live in it with her new husband once they were married. Her father was trying to do most of the work himself but it was taking a long time (which was something she did not have) and requiring money (which they did not have lots of either).

Something hit me one morning and I said..we have to help. She needs to get married and this doesn't need to wait. I called Grace's mother and got a list of things that need to be done to the house. With list in hand, I called every contractor, builder, supplier I knew until I found somebody to do all of the work on the house. Our own builder and his crew finished all of the construction work. We purchase the materials. An air conditioning company put in an a/c /heater system for free. A landscaper did the yard...for free. One of my husband's nurses and her husband laid the itles floors...for free. With the help of many generous people, we were able to make sure Grace had a home to live in for the remainder of her shortened life.

There was one other thing we did for her to give her a dream come true and this was just a few weeks before she passed. Grace loved Michael Buble. She thought he was just the greatest. Michael Buble was coming to our hometown of Shreveport, Louisiana. We got her tickets but just days before the concert she became quite ill. We knew she could not sit with the general public and would not be able to negotiate stairs. Again, called everybody I knew and found a man who so generaously donated the use of his box seats in the arena. She was able to enjoy the concert in a very safe environment. A complete dream for her. And to our great surprise at her funeral they played Michael Buble just for Grace.

We try in our home every day to pass along a blessing to someone. We have been truly blessed and should share those blessings with others.

texasbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbelle Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #76 of 189

I need to give you one more story..it's our Katrina story.

When Katrina hit, there were thousands of refugees sent to our city. My husband took a call from the answering service that a refugee needed an oncologist. The gentleman had just had surgery for throat cancer. He had just had a trach and a feeding tube. The man was due to start chemotherapy and radiation which can be time critical. Far more critical than that though was in the rush to get away from the hurrican, he did not receive instruction on how to take care of his trach or feeding tube. His medical records were lost because New Orleans was flooded. There was little information to work with. We were given his name, the phone number to where he was, and the address. My husband and I called and let them know we were on the way so that my husband could see this man and evaluate him.

When we drove up in the driveway, the patient was standing in the driveway with big tears just rolling down his face. He couldn't speak due to his surgery but he could write! He let us know how very greatful he was. He had not been fed in three days because of the feeding tube. He was scared, hungry, and could not believe a doctor would come to a home and help him. And for no charge. I will never forget the man's face and how so very greatful he was for what was done for him that day. We got all of his care arranged and yes...got him fed! I do not know what happened to him but I'd like to think he's healed!

asmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmith Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:49am
post #77 of 189

I just love this thread, check it each time I log on the computer!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:55am
post #78 of 189

Every year my family adopts a family for the holidays. A few years back, a co worker's daughter was going thru a really rough patch. She had been divorced, never a child support check and then was laid off right before school started. She always made it look like they were doing ok. Her daughter dressed nicely and within their means. She did do second hand shopping and garage sailin' to make the best of it. She was about to be evicted for lack a rent, her car was about to be reposessed, and groceries were just beyond reach. Her mom was in a fit about how to help. Talking about it over dinner, my oldest DD gave me her paycheck to give, my DS gave me his lawn money from the summer. We, as a family, decided a last minute vacation was not really needed. We showed up with all her school supplies, a bunch of outfits from "the" stores little girls wished they could shop in, rent and a car payment. My DH pulled a few strings and got her a job. The little girl was so excited to have clothes from a store and never had been worn. The mom was totally speachless and cried as the little girl wanted to do a fashion show for her. My DS turned off all the lights and took 2 flashlights and strobed them across the living room as she walked out. My kids just asked if we can do it again this year for another family. Even with all our med issues right now and our financial burdens, the kids are still thinking of other. I only wonder what I did to deserve children like this!

majormichel Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #79 of 189

Ok texasbelle and jlynnw those stories literally touch the bottom of my heart.
WOW,WOW, WOW

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:47am
post #80 of 189

Wow I love this thread and hope it goes on and on!

For years I have been baking for family and friends, no charge and I love it. Mostly very basic and generic cakes nothing to out there or to elaborate.

But since I have discovered fondant and gumpaste, I have slowly started to take on bigger cakes and stepped out of my comfort zone.

When ever I try something I have never done before I always do a practice cake. Needless to say my family is all caked out.

I needed to find something to do with my practice cakes.

So I donate them to a local woman's shelter where I live. (This idea came from a fellow CC'r)

At first they weren't to sure how to take this strange woman showing up on there door step with a Toothbrush cake (my first practice cake) and didn't want to let me in.

But after explaining myself and assuring them that my intentions were sincere she finally agreed to take the cake inside.

Now every cake order I do, I always do a practice cake and that cake goes right to these wonderful ladies and their kids.

Even when I don't have a cake and feel like trying something I have seen here online on, in a book or a new recipe I make it cause I know that it will make someones day .

That was back in March and now I have an agreement with the lovely staff at this shelter.

When ever a child enters the shelter with their mom's I get an email from the shelter just telling me a first name, age and date, along with something special they might like (for theme) and I make the cake icon_smile.gif

The cake is picked up by one of the staff because our deal is that I remain anonymous.

I can not tell you how many pictures and hand made cards and notes I have adorning my office walls that the staff have taken and forwarded to me from these kids.

I have always loved to bake, and now my baking has added that much more meaning and depth to my own life.

Sometimes I feel selfish because I think I get more from it than they do...but this pay it forward moment will be life long for me.

As long as I can bake then there will be cake for everyone who walks through those shelter doors.

Courtesy of the Secret Cake Lady AKA: Miss Lizzy

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:39pm
post #81 of 189

I actually just launched a program yesterday called "Cakes For Christ" I'm letting people sign up for free birthday cakes for their children......the economy is not good, and somehow God has sustained and even grown my cake business during this. So I wanted a way to give to less fortunate people and Honor God with the talents and income he's bestowed on me.
When people submit an order form for a cake, they get to choose flavor and colors but I design the cake (another plus, because I get to try out designs I've been dying to try) and I deliver the cake free of charge, along with information about Jesus Christ and how they can accept Him as their savior.
Not sure if it's really an act of kindness, I mean they get free cake, but I get the opportunity to possibly plant a seed to change their lives.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #82 of 189

Ooh, I have an act of kindness to share that I was the recipient of!
When I was pregnant with my now 5 yr. old, my husband and I were not married and I had no health insurance. Well, anyone knows when you're pregnant you NEED to have an ultrasound to ensure everything is well with the baby ( I had a terrible history with pregnancy too, stillborn and 2 miscarriages)...anyhow.......we didn't have the $600 it would cost to have an ultrasound and I didn't qualify for free insurance, so I turned to the phone book. I found this place called "Choices of the Heart", at first I thought it was an abortion clinic or something because their add said "Free sonograms, very descrete).... in any case, I called them to find out what they were all about....turns out they were the opposite of an abortion clinic, they actually try to inform mothers that want abortions about the risks and what exactlly the procedure does to the child. Well, I didn't want an abortion I just wanted to make sure my baby was ok. I went there and met with the ladies who prayed for me (which made me a little uncomfortable, but I was willing to sit through it if they were gonna get me a sonogram)....then they referred me to a doc. office across the street for the sonogram.
Here's where the act of kindness comes.........I start going to the doctor and inform them that in 3 months I'll be married and will have health insurance but until them I don't have any money. They offered to hold all the claims until I had insurance....I thought, THAT'S GOTTA BE ILLEGAL! lol Well, it turns out.....the place that referred me doesn't "pay" for the sonograms, the doctor actually donates his time and materials.....and over the course of that 3 months that doctor ordered countless blood tests, ultrasounds, etc. because of my history....and never filed ONE claim to my insurance company once I got insurance....he paid for everything out of pocket. Not to mention that I wound up VERY sick at the end of my pregnancy and thought I had the flu and he literally gave up his thanksgiving dinner to check on me (I called the office and told the nurse I had the flu), turned out I had toxemia and my kidneys had completely shut down and I almost died...I really think had he not acted so quickly I or my daughter or both of us wouldn't even be here.

In the end the ladies from Choices of the Heart came to our house once our daughter was born and gave us a huge bag of baby stuff (clothes, diapers, bottles, blankets, etc.) and also presented us with the Gospel. My husband was irate that they would come into our house and tell us we were headed for Hell.
Well, needless to say a seed was planted...within a year my husband and I both accepted Christ and have since begun a ministry to tell others too.
As angry as he was being confronted with his sin, we allowed them to keep talking because they had done something so nice for us (getting us to the doctor that ultimately saved our lives).......I guess you could say the doctor saved my life and those ladies gave us life.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #83 of 189

After a rough 11-7 shift, I had to come here and be encouraged. These stories are awesome and I hope they keep coming. This is the true beauty of a person, the giving from the heart and the receiving with a grateful heart.

TexasBelle- please give your husband a huge hug from me and my husband. Yes, cancer struck our little household twice; me first and then my dear husband/best friend. We were blessed to have an oncologist that cared about US and not just our disease. He prayed for us and he told us that his family prayed for all the patients (not names or HIPPA stuff, just praying for his patients to have healing, protection from side effects, etc). We are both doing great now and that doctor will remain in our prayers for the rest of our lives. It takes a special person to do what your fellow does every day.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #84 of 189

I have 2 stories:
1. I was active duty in the Navy during Desert Storm. I had gone to a school reunion and had stopped at at Dunkin Donuts to get coffee and a muffin for breakfast. There were a couple of elderly men there who noticed my base sticker on my car and started asking my questions. They thanked my for my service and I thought that was the end of it. When I asked for the bill, I found out they paid for my breakfast.
2. One of my coworkers was getting married to her high school sweetheart. They had both been married before, and finding gifts was going to be a problem as they did not want any of the usual appliances, china, etc. They did not have much money but wanted a really nice wedding. I did their wedding cake (3 tiers) as my gift to them, some one else in the office paid her sister-in-law (professional photographer) to do the wedding pictures as her gift, someone else catered the food for the cost of the food only - plus added several things that weren't on the original menu at no additional cost. It went on and on - the happy couple was able to use most of their original wedding budget for their honeymoon, and was able to have a really nice honeymoon instead of a weekend at a local hotel as they originally planned. (we did get them gifts listed on their registry, too!)

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #85 of 189

My act of kindness came out of the love for my dogs and has been ongoing for over two years (and hopefully many more). One of my dogs is a Delta Society pet partner and we visit the children's floor of our local hospital twice a month. I knew the kids would be tickled to have a visit from the dog, but what has surprised me is how much the parents and hospital staff look forward to the visits. Sometimes the parents get so bored sitting in the hospital day after day just waiting that they need the visit as much as the kids do. We have some staff members who always make sure they're around to see the dog when we come in, and I've had one doctor who actually wrote in the child's medical chart that part of his treatment was to have a visit from the dog! It's loads of fun and a great way to do something for others.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:58pm
post #86 of 189

A few small acts of kindness I have done/will do, lately

I am making a cake next week for a coworkers relative who joined the army last year and has been away from his family. I have done birthday cakes for his 2 kids the past couple of years. My coworker told me he would be home for a couple of weeks this month and said he wanted one of MY cakes! How sweet! They call me their personal baker. She asked me how much and I insistedNo Charge. I also plan to do their kids cakes for free if they order them from me again.

Another thing I have done recently that I guess is an act of kindness, is to let one of my daughters friends help me make her birthday cake. My daughter was invited to her party and I offered to do the cake. The little girl was so excited and said she wanted to be a chef and asked if she could help. She came over every night after I got home from work. We made a present cake with a fondant bow. She was very proud.

Oh, I guess there is one other act of kindness that I am doing, which is really just another expression of my love, is helping my husband to achieve his dream. He quit his job after 20 years to go back to school and become a teacher. Fortunately for us, I have a really great job and we can afford for him not to work for a while. I benefit as well, though, he does the housework!

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:05pm
post #87 of 189

Ok, so this story may not be as great as all the other's, but it was such a big deal to me. Anyway, there is a thread on here with the entire story, but I figured I'd just tell it again.

So, I posted a question on here around November of last year or beginning of December last year asking if there was a way to get smooth butter cream using a hand mixer. I was, and still am in my opinion, very new to decorating, and I had absolutely no money to purchase a Kitchen Aid mixer (SAHM with a son and a new baby on the way), so from the time I started making cakes and decorating, I would either mix everything by hand or with a hand mixer. Anyway, when I posted this question, I literally had nothing to bake and decorate with except 1 10inch pan, 1 8 inch pan, 1 6 inch pan, and a 9x13 pan, along with some Wilton disposable piping bags, and the 22 tip wilton set. So, when I posted this, I was really, honestly only looking for tips on how to get smooth butter cream with my trusty hand mixer, one of the nicest, most adorable people I have ever met on this site TITA9499 a.k.a Marta, right then offered to ship me her used KA mixer since she had just gotten a new one. This was right around Christmas time, and this was one of the best Christmas gifts that I have ever received, especially from a stranger. I, in return for her generosity, have at this point given away so many free cakes (mostly to be nice and get some practice), but the first cake I gave away after beeing given the mixer, was the Pink and White shower cake in my photos with the booties on top. It was given to a single Marine girl who was pregnant, and I was also pregnant at the same time, so I had nothing to give her except a special baby shower cake. I can't say how greatful I am for that mixer, it is definitely getting used on a very regular basis now, and I couldn't be more happy to have met Tita.

Also, from that same thread, I was contacted by Jammjenks (April) who also very nicely offered to send me some things to practice with that she no longer had any use for. I can't say how much I appreciate her gift as well. She sent me more pans than I expected, and I have gotten the chance to get a lot of practice out of them as well. I am very greatful to have met her as well. She also holds a very special place in my heart.

I cried so much when both of them contacted me willing to just give me, a complete stanger, their things!!!!

I can't say Thank You enough to these ladies for the help and support that they have given me thus far, and I hope to get to meet them both, along with some of the other fine people on this site face to face one day. God has truly blessed me since I found this site, and I hope all of you feel as blessed as I do from all of the help and support that people give here. I love this site, and I am a life long caker because of it!!! Thanks again to all of you helpful, wonderful "friends".

majormichel Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #88 of 189

The stories are very touching, to many to comment on.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:27pm
post #89 of 189

I just remembered something my mother did. She owned a drapery business. Her neighbor's baby was stillborn at term and they asked my mother to make the blanket and pillow for her viewing. My mother made them and did not charge the family.

amycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycake Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #90 of 189

My story goes like this.
I was out to lunch with my sister and we decided to go to this tea place that sold cakes as I had to buy one. Anyway our waitress commented on my butterfly necklace I was wearing. I told her I just bought it 2 days ago on line and she could possible get one. Then she told me of a story about her friend who lost her mom and was seeing butterflies all the time and they remind her of her mother who passed 2 weeks earlier. She thanked me and said she would look on line for her friend. I thought about it and took my necklace off and gave it to the waitress. I told her it was meant for me to give this to her friend and to tell her that her mom said hi. well tears were flowing. Should could not thank me enough and we had lunch for free she insisted. Later I recieved a heartfelt letter from the person who it went to that she was forever greatful and touched and was blessed to know good people exist. It made my day as well as her. There is good you just have to look for it.
Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%