Wedding Cupcakes...how Many Per Person?

Baking By projectqueen Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 9:49pm by Annabakescakes

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 36

There won't be any cake, just cupcakes. They expect 150 guests. How many cupcakes will they need?

35 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 36

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of cupcakes, but I'd recommend maybe 1.3 per person.

From my blog article on cupcakes:
By the way, if you choose cupcakes for your wedding, I recommend you order extra (here you go, having to spend more money to have "cheaper" cupcakes!).
- When cupcakes are the wedding cake, guests are more likely to have more than one.
- If you have multiple flavors, guests are more comfortable having 2 cupcakes than they are having 2 pieces of cake. (After all, it's "just" a cupcake!)
- It's easier to grab a cupcake to take home than it is to grab a plate of sliced cake.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:09am
post #3 of 36

I do 1 1/2 per person. So I would go with 225 cupcakes for 150 people. If the cupcakes are on display, it is more than likely one or two (or more) will sneakily disappear from the table before they are served. And, like Debi stated, some people will want more than one.
I did cupcakes, designed to look like the american flag, as a "groom's cake" for a military couple. As I was setting up the table, two women walked by and said "OOOO cupcakes, lets take one now before they are all gone!" I had no trouble responding that they should at least wait until the groom has seen it, since he requested it.
Cupcakes are hand magnets! LOL

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:29am
post #4 of 36

Wow i've never even considered more than one per person! Good topic!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 36

I'd go with 2 per person. I'd rather have leftovers than not enough.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I'd go with 2 per person. I'd rather have leftovers than not enough.

I would suggest this to the bride and see if she will go for it. If not, I'd go with the 1.5 per person just to be safe.

cutthecake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 36

And the bride can offer the leftovers for the guests to take home (or not).

indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 36

You know .... I would really really love to know how cupcakes truly work out. Anyone on here who does lots of cupcake weddings? Have any brides who you have talked to since the wedding who gave you feedback on how the cupcake count worked out? Anyone attend a wedding or 2 or 3 where they saw first hand how many were left and/or consumed?

I can speculate all day long, but I'd love to know some first hand observations. (This one will actually keep me awake at night! I know it will!)

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 36

I tell people that a cupcake is approx 2/3 of one of my cake slices. They all insist on buying as close to the guest count as possible, though. (120 guests - 120 cuppies).

HelenM2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HelenM2002 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 36

I work part-time for a caterer, and have seen weddings that have cake and cupcakes. People will usually take more than one cupcake, especially if there are different flavors (as Debi posted in her blog).

If there is no cake, I would do at least 2 cuppies per person.

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

I do 1 1/2 per person. So I would go with 225 cupcakes for 150 people. If the cupcakes are on display, it is more than likely one or two (or more) will sneakily disappear from the table before they are served. And, like Debi stated, some people will want more than one.
I did cupcakes, designed to look like the american flag, as a "groom's cake" for a military couple. As I was setting up the table, two women walked by and said "OOOO cupcakes, lets take one now before they are all gone!" I had no trouble responding that they should at least wait until the groom has seen it, since he requested it.
Cupcakes are hand magnets! LOL

I had cupcakes for my own wedding and Ging is right about them disappearing from the display before the ceremony!

cylstrial Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:17pm
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeebug

I had cupcakes for my own wedding and Ging is right about them disappearing from the display before the ceremony!

Oh my gosh! That's pathetic on the part of the guests!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 36

cylstrial, pathetic yes! I think people tell themselves, "who is going to miss one little cupcake?". HA!! Multiply that times 20 (at least) and you have a severly distorted cupcake display. OY!

cutthecake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #14 of 36

How about the people who open the wrapped cookie trays before they're served and help themselves?

cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #15 of 36
Quote:

How about the people who open the wrapped cookie trays before they're served and help themselves?

LOL! What is wrong with people? I think WTF?

indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:

When I set up a buffet, I quickly learned to either not set the plates out at all or if I do set them out, then I dont' remove the saran wrap from the stack of plates until the very last second. I actually had to stop someone who was starting to go thru the buffet .... they had removed the lids from the food chafer pan and had a plate in hand ready to make their plate!!!! icon_surprised.gif I gently told them, 'We haven't opened the buffet yet ... we need to wait until the bride and groom get here." They did the "oh, yeah, sure, ok, I didnt' know" thing.

I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt that maybe they really DIDN'T know that they don't start eating until someone announces that dinner is served OR after the blessing OR until the bride and groom get there.

cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Quote:

When I set up a buffet, I quickly learned to either not set the plates out at all or if I do set them out, then I dont' remove the saran wrap from the stack of plates until the very last second. I actually had to stop someone who was starting to go thru the buffet .... they had removed the lids from the food chafer pan and had a plate in hand ready to make their plate!!!! icon_surprised.gif I gently told them, 'We haven't opened the buffet yet ... we need to wait until the bride and groom get here." They did the "oh, yeah, sure, ok, I didnt' know" thing.

I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt that maybe they really DIDN'T know that they don't start eating until someone announces that dinner is served OR after the blessing OR until the bride and groom get there.

AGAIN... icon_eek.gif
LOL. (Shaking head). Crazy people out there. icon_lol.gif

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:00am
post #18 of 36

we have done a few cupcake weddings this year and the most recent was a mini cupcake wedding. the bride was only expecting about 125 people, so she ordered 250 minis since she figured about 2 per person since she was having other assortment of finger foods. she ended up upping the order to 300 and she just told me today that they only had about a dozen left. she also told me the big jumbo cupcake at the top of the tower that was supposed to be for her and her husband disappeared and she never saw it.

So what we have figured is that most of our brides order enough cupcakes for about 1.5 per person. for minis, about 2-3 per person.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm
post #19 of 36

Sounds like cupcakes are a headache....i can see them disappearing, because someone just couldn't help him/herself.

cylstrial Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:59pm
post #20 of 36

Thanks for letting us know how it went Morgan!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #21 of 36

I've done a couple cc weddings. Each time I suggested that they order 1.5 -2 cupcakes per person. There is just something about the "cupcake mentality" - people just feel free taking more than one.

After one of the weddings a guest who I ran into told me they ate 3 because they were so good. While I certainly appreciate the compliment, I use this story with brides who are thinking about ordering cc to illustrate why it's a good idea to order more than one per person.

cylstrial Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

After one of the weddings a guest who I ran into told me they ate 3 because they were so good.

While I certainly appreciate the compliment, I use this story with brides who are thinking about ordering cc to illustrate why it's a good idea to order more than one per person.

OK- I know you all are probably sick of me saying this in this thread - but what the freak? Who takes 3 cupcakes at a wedding? If we all took 3 cupcakes, they would have run out ages ago.

indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #23 of 36
Quote:

Quote:

After one of the weddings a guest who I ran into told me they ate 3 because they were so good.

While I certainly appreciate the compliment, I use this story with brides who are thinking about ordering cc to illustrate why it's a good idea to order more than one per person.

OK- I know you all are probably sick of me saying this in this thread - but what the freak? Who takes 3 cupcakes at a wedding? If we all took 3 cupcakes, they would have run out ages ago.

But it's a great illustration of how people view cupcakes. It's a "casual" food, so mentally, it's ok to have 3 of them. For some reason, having 3 "slices" of cake is rude or gluttony. But cupcakes? Oh heck, that's just a SNACK food! Kids will take one bite of a cupcake, not like it, and mama says "ok, go get another one that you WILL like." But a kid who takes one bite of a slice of cake and wants another one, usually has a mama who says, "You eat the one you've got!"

Plus I am never amazed at how people react to 'free food'. A friend tells me that when his employer provides a special lunch for the employees, he sees people walk by with 4 chicken breasts on their plate. His reaction is the same: You KNOW they don't eat like that at home. But this is free food, so WTH? Stock 'em up! icon_eek.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:12am
post #24 of 36
Quote:

Quote:

HAHAHAHA! I was reading these and your responses were like my echo! I never got sick of it, I really did lol!

cylstrial Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:38pm
post #25 of 36

LOL! Good to know Anna!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:59pm
post #26 of 36

Well, my last 3 weddings were cupcakes. I hate them now. I would rather do a cake than a crap-load of cupcakes. One bride ordered less than the number of people attending. I gave her the warning. But the venue had desserts on the menu no matter what, so she was "safe". The other two did order the recomended 1.5, and THEN there was the mini-cupcake episode where I suggested that because she was having 5 different flavors for 150 guests, and we ended up doing 900 of the little ****ers. That's right. I am officially insane!!!!

cylstrial Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:02pm
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Well, my last 3 weddings were cupcakes. I hate them now. I would rather do a cake than a crap-load of cupcakes. One bride ordered less than the number of people attending. I gave her the warning. But the venue had desserts on the menu no matter what, so she was "safe". The other two did order the recomended 1.5, and THEN there was the mini-cupcake episode where I suggested that because she was having 5 different flavors for 150 guests, and we ended up doing 900 of the little ****ers. That's right. I am officially insane!!!!

icon_eek.gif Wow! 900!! Holy crap!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:03pm
post #28 of 36

[quote="indydebi"][quote="cylstrial"]

Quote:

Plus I am never amazed at how people react to 'free food'. A friend tells me that when his employer provides a special lunch for the employees, he sees people walk by with 4 chicken breasts on their plate. His reaction is the same: You KNOW they don't eat like that at home. But this is free food, so WTH? Stock 'em up! icon_eek.gif

OMG- don't even get started w/ the free food at work - my company has lunch meetings ALOT (sometimes 3 a week, sometimes more then one meeting a day! icon_eek.gif )- I am in charge of ordering the food for the meetings and then setting out the leftovers and sending an email to the building letting the rest of the employee know there are leftovers up for the taking - Let me just say I have to get a safe distance from the food before the email is sent or I would get ran over by the people that come running.....I've had people take several plates b/c they were taking some home for dinner for their family, I've had people ask me if there are any containers so they could pack extra up to take home or save for lunch for the next day.....it goes on and on and on...I hate leftover food days!!! Then the mess they make and don't clean up after themselves...Oh, MY....don't get me started on that either!! icon_mad.gificon_cry.gifthumbsdown.gif I don't know what happens to people either - I've even left signs telling people to take ONE plate per person and allow others to share in the food and to make sure they clean up after themselves....doesn't work either! People are just rude!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #29 of 36

She actually had enough left over for the reception the next day, which was kind of what we had planned for. But I did hear from several people who I knew there that they had tried every kind that there was, and there were 5 different kinds. Gluttony or not, I probably would have done the same thing "It's just a small little bite!" But then again I'm the person who will go to a dessert buffet and actually cut the small piece even smaller so that I can try just a "taste" of everything that looks yummy.

cylstrial Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

She actually had enough left over for the reception the next day, which was kind of what we had planned for. But I did hear from several people who I knew there that they had tried every kind that there was, and there were 5 different kinds. Gluttony or not, I probably would have done the same thing "It's just a small little bite!" But then again I'm the person who will go to a dessert buffet and actually cut the small piece even smaller so that I can try just a "taste" of everything that looks yummy.

LOL! I would have wanted to try every kind too. I don't really think it's terrible to try them all when it's just a mini cupcake. It's just whether there are enough. It's a tough situation. You can't place a sign behind the table saying, "Each guest may have up to 3 cupcakes".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%