Saving Cake Mix For The Next Day

Decorating By kaecakes Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm by kaecakes

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone saved extra cake mix for the next day? I just made 2 8" cakes and 2 14 layers I have some chocolate batter left and can use it for my marble cakes tomorrow just want to check if it can be save that long. I have saved for a couple of hours before with no proplem.[/url]

9 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 10

I haven't done this, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's meant to be used right away. It's not that expensive to make a cake from a mix, so be safe and make a new one tomorrow.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 10

Could you go ahead and make your marble today and freeze the cake if necessary?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 10

I put cake mix batter in the 'frig all the time and use it within a week. It bakes up fine.

FYI .... I froze cake batter in a cake pan, pulled it from the freezer to oven and it also baked up fine.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 10

Does it matter if it's box cake or scratch?

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 10

I would think if you could freeze one or the other it would not matter.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 10

Boxed cakes are designed to be idiot proof therefore they will bake up fine under a lot of unusual circumstances. For instance, overbeating, under beating, not adding the correct amount of liquid, not baking right away etc.

Baking from scratch is a lot more challenging. If you don't bake right way you run the risk of your cakes not rising properly.

I would recommend baking the marble cake and freezing it if need be.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 10

I make batter ahead and freeze it all the time - saves lots of time. I divide and pre-package into 3 individual qt size re-sealable bags. That way if I only want/need to bake a doz mini cuppies, or 6 regular cupcakes, or a regular cake I can just take out as many bags as I need. I can take out bags of different flavors to bake at one time (ie 6 chocolate, 6 white, 6 red velvet, etc). I just snip the corner off the bag and fill the liners or pan straight from the bag.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 10

Cake batter can be refrigerated for several days. If not needed for a longer period, freezing the batter is recommended.

Whatever works for you, it's all good. icon_smile.gif

Here are threads with more info on refrigerating/freezing cake batter:
(Includes the science of double-acting baking powder.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5914137.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-580334.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-606527-.html

HTH

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone I did put in the frig. and will try it today. I am in the kitchen next I have 4 14" layers to do today. I normally would have gone ahead and baked the marble cake yesterday but had to go somewhere. Thanks agin

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%