Does Buttercream Frosting Need To Be Refrigerated?

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm by amytracy1981

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 5

If it is made with milk and butter does it need to be refrigerated?? I usually use the Wilton recipe (with just crisco and no milk) but I have discovered that when I use butter and milk it tastes sooo much better! BUT its going to be used under my fondant and I can't put the fondant covered cake in the refrigerator so is it ok to use the buttercream w/ milk under the fondant???

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

It will be jsut fine.The sugar contenet in the icing eliminates any possibility of the icing going rancid.It would take a while of warm weather and it being left out to start to go bad.

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 5

why can't you put a fondant covered cake in the fridge? I've been putting my fondant covered cakes in the fridge for years and they are always just fine.

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytracy1981

why can't you put a fondant covered cake in the fridge? I've been putting my fondant covered cakes in the fridge for years and they are always just fine.

REALLY?! I always thought they couldn't be refridgerated so I never even tried b/c I was scared of ruining it. Maybe I'll just refrigerate it then. icon_smile.gif

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 5

Sometimes the fondant sweats a bit when you first take it out, but it drys up. The only fondant I don't like to refrigerate is fondant that is painted on with food coloring (Ex: a fondant figure with the eyes painted on) because if it sweats it will make the paint bleed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%