Does Buttercream Frosting Need To Be Refrigerated?

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm by amytracy1981

Lovemesomecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 5

If it is made with milk and butter does it need to be refrigerated?? I usually use the Wilton recipe (with just crisco and no milk) but I have discovered that when I use butter and milk it tastes sooo much better! BUT its going to be used under my fondant and I can't put the fondant covered cake in the refrigerator so is it ok to use the buttercream w/ milk under the fondant???

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

It will be jsut fine.The sugar contenet in the icing eliminates any possibility of the icing going rancid.It would take a while of warm weather and it being left out to start to go bad.

amytracy1981 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 5

why can't you put a fondant covered cake in the fridge? I've been putting my fondant covered cakes in the fridge for years and they are always just fine.

Lovemesomecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytracy1981

why can't you put a fondant covered cake in the fridge? I've been putting my fondant covered cakes in the fridge for years and they are always just fine.

REALLY?! I always thought they couldn't be refridgerated so I never even tried b/c I was scared of ruining it. Maybe I'll just refrigerate it then. icon_smile.gif

amytracy1981 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 5

Sometimes the fondant sweats a bit when you first take it out, but it drys up. The only fondant I don't like to refrigerate is fondant that is painted on with food coloring (Ex: a fondant figure with the eyes painted on) because if it sweats it will make the paint bleed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%