Newbie With A Cassata Cake Question

Decorating By NoviceBeth Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm by NoviceBeth

NoviceBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoviceBeth Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 5

Hello! This is my first post. I am new to cake decorating. I have just started really decorating cakes this summer and have discovered I have a rough talent for it.

I volunteered to make a cake for my sister's baby shower. She requested a Cassata cake, so that is what I am doing. I live 3 hours from the shower site and will be making the actual cake part ahead of time then filling and icing it there. Any tips on making the cake easier to travel with? Also, I am icing it with ganache and butter cream. Would it be better to make the butter cream at my house then travel with it to finish up the cake or make it on site?

Thanks!

4 replies
jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 5

Mixing & Frosting it on site is going to depend on how early you plan on arriving at your sisters and how fast you can finish it.
Have you made this particular cake before so that you have an idea how long it will take you?

Also, to keep in mind, is if she has the proper equipment or do you need to take that as well...

As for the travel aspects of it. I would advise not putting it in your trunk where it gets too hot.

Good luck & welcome to decorating!

NoviceBeth Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

Mixing & Frosting it on site is going to depend on how early you plan on arriving at your sisters and how fast you can finish it.
Have you made this particular cake before so that you have an idea how long it will take you?

Also, to keep in mind, is if she has the proper equipment or do you need to take that as well...

As for the travel aspects of it. I would advise not putting it in your trunk where it gets too hot.

Good luck & welcome to decorating!

Thank you!

I made this cake shortly after she asked me to make it for her, just to get a feel for it.

Good info about no trunk, thanks!

I am thinking more of making everything here and just putting it together there so I don't have to worry about them not having something! Are there any special tricks about transporting buttercream?

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 5

I would make sure to keep the buttercream in a cooler (but not freezing) mainly because of the long journey, that way it won't be to warm and you'll be able to use it right away!

If there is ever a question, room temp to cool is always the way to go with cake & frosting.

icon_surprised.gif)

NoviceBeth Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

I would make sure to keep the buttercream in a cooler (but not freezing) mainly because of the long journey, that way it won't be to warm and you'll be able to use it right away!

If there is ever a question, room temp to cool is always the way to go with cake & frosting.

icon_surprised.gif)

Thanks for the tip. I was planning on making the buttercream Thursday AM and stick in my fridge here. I hadn't thought of taking the cooler!

Also, thanks for the reminder about the cakes being at room temp. I [i}know[/i] not to ice a warm cake, but I hadn't thought of letting it warm up to room temp after freezing/refrigerating it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%