Can I Cover And Decorate A Cake On Thurs For A Sat Wedding?

Decorating By mommy2sweetpeas Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 2:43pm by cylstrial

mommy2sweetpeas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2sweetpeas Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 17

i'm trying to budget my time and don't have much time on friday to cover and decorate the cake...can i cover it on thursday and then decorate on saturday morning (they don't need the cake until 3)...or should i just do it all on thursday? is it too early?

thanks!
tina

16 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 17

Covering it on Thursday and decorating on Saturday will be just fine! When are you baking the cakes?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 17

I start cakes on Weds. for Sat. That means I bake & make frostings on Weds., cover on Thurs., finish decorating on Fri., & deliver Sat.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 17

Yup!...I do it all the time!...But I am not sure for those who use SMBC...I use crusting buttercream.
Edna icon_smile.gif

eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 17

What I like to do is make the bc on thurs, bake the cake fri am and then
ice the cake in the pm, and do the finishing touches and decorations
sat am. This works pretty good for me. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

mommy2sweetpeas Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 17

was planning on baking the cakes on wednesday, covering on thursday and then decorating fri & sat.

thanks for all the replies!

cylstrial Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 17

I bake on Wednesday sometimes. It will turn out great! I don't know if you use moistening syrup, but when I bake on Wed.'s I also put that on the cake.

mommy2sweetpeas Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 17

what do you use for a moistening syrup? is it something you make?

cylstrial Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #9 of 17

Yes it's something you make. It's super easy. It's just sugar and water. You bring it to a boil and then once it cools you add a flavor (if you want to).

But you sprinkle it on the cake and it soaks through and keeps the cake very moist and delicious.

I'll go find my recipe. Hold on.

cylstrial Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:05pm
post #10 of 17

Ok, here we go.

Moistening Syrup

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp or up to 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) according to taste

Bring the sugar and the water to a boil in a covered pot. When all the sugar crystals have dissolved, let cool. Add the liqueur.

It recommends that you use 3 to 4 tbsp's of this moistening syrup for each egg used in the cake recipe.

You can brush it on with a pastry brush, you can sprinkle it on with a spoon, or any other method that you want to use. Just go slowly at first.

You will also have to double, triple, quadruple the recipe to get the right amount of syrup. If you make too much, you can store it in the fridge for a month.

Hope this helps!

mommy2sweetpeas Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 17

thanks cylstrial!!!!!

cylstrial Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 17

I'm happy to help! Good luck with the cake!

wakezcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakezcakez Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #13 of 17

This thread has been helpful to me too as I have a wedding cake for Saturday as well. Quick question: what about perishable fillings??? My bride would like lemon (pie) filling, and some kind of strawberry filling. What should my timelines be in this case? I'll have to put cakes in fridge...any additional suggestions would be sooooo appreciated. please help!

cylstrial Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakezcakez

This thread has been helpful to me too as I have a wedding cake for Saturday as well. Quick question: what about perishable fillings??? My bride would like lemon (pie) filling, and some kind of strawberry filling. What should my timelines be in this case? I'll have to put cakes in fridge...any additional suggestions would be sooooo appreciated. please help!

What's the exterior of the cake going to be? Fondant or buttercream? What time is the cake due on Saturday?

If it were me, (doing a perishable filling), I would tighten up that timeline so that the cake doesn't have to spend a lot of time sitting in the fridge.

wakezcakez Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:23pm
post #15 of 17

The exterior of the cake is going to be buttercream. The weather here is going to be humid and rainy the day of the wedding....great. So I was going to start baking and making my icing today. What would you do?

wakezcakez Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #16 of 17

Sorry...I forgot...the wedding is at 4pm on Saturday..and I'm invited to the wedding as they are close family friends.

cylstrial Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:43pm
post #17 of 17

I would make the frosting today. Bake the cakes tomorrow (put saran wrap on them) for Thursday. I would make the fillings on Friday. And then stack them and put the cakes together on Friday. And then that way it would just have to be refrigerated for one night/day. I'd decorate on Saturday morning.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%