Working With Fondant In Humidity

Decorating By Nicolle711 Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm by Nicolle711

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 8

Hello All,

I need some serious help with Fondant! I am not blessed with a house that has central air. I live in a 2nd floor condo and it is always hot in my place. Baking in the summer is brutal as even if I have the AC on full blast, it is still very hot in my place.

I have had to do a few cakes for relatives this summer and it has become increasingly difficult to cover cakes with fondant in this humidity. As much as I have my ac on, use enough corn starch, firmly work the fondant onto my crusted cake, eventually when the fondant rests, I get those darn bubbles and the fondant begins to get sticky. I hate it because I am so used to flawless work come colder months but this summer has been brutal for me. I do use a pin to let air out but when I go to smooth over it just looks wrinkled icon_sad.gif

Any tips/advance you guys can pass along my way working with fondant in humidity? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 8

used to live in NYC too, so know where you're coming from

even now, have central A/C -- but even it cannot keep up with the humidity in NC, so had to break down and get a dehumidifier which runs almost full time. Both together can get it down to 50%

----

can you put A/C in kitchen window (if you have one) and block off kitchen?

let run all day and into night -- work late at night after it has had time to chill kitchen way down. Best solution I can think of. (ConEd is going to luv your electric bill!)

Nicolle711 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 8

It's so bad right now!!! Thanks for your advice. I never thought about a dehumidifier. I might have to head over to Target and pick one up. I was thinking of moving my "cake decorating area" to my bedroom as I have a good ac in there and it is a much smaller room so it can stay cool longer. The kitchen/living area space is an open layout so it just stays hot in there even with the ac on. I just hate my cakes looking so saggy when I know I can produce top quality work icon_sad.gif

Thanks for your help!!! thumbs_up.gif

p.s. con ed is evil icon_mad.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolle711

p.s. con ed is evil icon_mad.gif

LOL!! icon_lol.gif

A truthier truth was never told.

You will find your apartment will stay cooler with the humidity reduced, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 8

I feel your pain. I live in South Jersey, but inland away from any type of cool breeze or breeze whats so ever. I have the same problem as you. My Livingroom, Diningroom and Kitchen are all together (DH decided the open living area was a good idea) and I do not have central air. i should look into a unit during the winter this year. i already have all of the duct work inplace for my heat.

I did the same thing as you. I roll my fondant in my bedroom. AC works great in there because its a small room too. I usually try and work on my cakes late at night when the sun is not beaming on that side of the house. (I think i will look into solar panels too since the sun hits my house most of the day that way i can stop paying the evil electric co too icon_lol.gif )

Good luck and I hope that working in the bedroom helps u out.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 8

warning on dehumidifier...

while they do dry it out...they also produce heat! -- a dance with the devil so to speak.

moving the cake area to the bedroom is actually a good idea -- of course, where will you sleep?

Nicolle711 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

warning on dehumidifier...

while they do dry it out...they also produce heat! -- a dance with the devil so to speak.

moving the cake area to the bedroom is actually a good idea -- of course, where will you sleep?

On top of my cake decorating table, haha!

I will definitely have to clean up before going to bed but I think I will try decorating in my bedroom. I'll have to move around some things but I am sure I can get a nice work station in there. It will force me to be organized! It is my only chance at producing nice fondant covered cakes again. icon_biggrin.gif

Nicolle711 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissi01

I feel your pain. I live in South Jersey, but inland away from any type of cool breeze or breeze whats so ever. I have the same problem as you. My Livingroom, Diningroom and Kitchen are all together (DH decided the open living area was a good idea) and I do not have central air. i should look into a unit during the winter this year. i already have all of the duct work inplace for my heat.

I did the same thing as you. I roll my fondant in my bedroom. AC works great in there because its a small room too. I usually try and work on my cakes late at night when the sun is not beaming on that side of the house. (I think i will look into solar panels too since the sun hits my house most of the day that way i can stop paying the evil electric co too icon_lol.gif )

Good luck and I hope that working in the bedroom helps u out.

Thanks for your tips. Best of luck with the central air, you might as well if you have everything in place icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%