What Frosting With Red Velvet Cake And Fondant??

Decorating By mommybrooke Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 11:53pm by cylstrial

mommybrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybrooke Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 7

Practicing for my sister's wedding cake this fall and she wants one tier red velvet (thinking of trying the one in the WASC thread, never tried any of the ones in that thread!). She is wanting it covered in fondant (marshmallow I suppose I will use - never tried anything else!!). What frosting do I use with it? Just plain buttercream? To me red velvet does not seem right without cream cheese frosting..but it is going to be an outside wedding.......any suggestions???Thanks!!

6 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 7

Cream Cheese! Its a fall wedding so it should be ok outside dont you think?

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 7

I'm with you--red velvet just doesn't seem the same without a cream cheese icing. I had an issue like this. I made a wedding cake and they wanted red velvet for two of the cakes. I needed the outside of all the cakes to look the same (basket weave) so I wanted to use the same buttercream on all cakes. And of course I needed it to be a nice sturdy buttercream (for a summer wedding) that wouldn't slide off the cake! What I did was use a cream cheese filling with pecans (red velvet just isn't red velvet without pecans around here icon_wink.gif !).

Hope that helps a little...

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 7

Try the crusting cream cheese buttercream recipe from designmeacake.com.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 7

I would think that Tennessee could still get a bit warm in the fall. Lorann makes a cheesecake flavoring that you can add to buttercream. I haven't used their cheesecake flavor yet, but the flavors I have used were excellent.

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 7

Honestly...I just can't picture red velvet without the cream cheese frosting. They complement each other so well. Plus, cream cheese frosting is usually very popular. It always gets rave reviews. Follow Rylan's advice...a good crusting cream cheese buttercream should hold up just fine.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 7

Crusting cream cheese icing under the fondant. I also use it for the filling as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%