Go The Extra Mile, You Never Know Where It Will Lead...

Business By Nchanted1 Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 3:16am by Sox-n-Pats

Nchanted1 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 15

I did a cake for a man last year, a small birthday cake for his girlfriend. She has a tea business. "Just a small birthday cake, whatever."

I decided to make it a teapot like I had seen in a store, with flowers for spout etc. It came out really well.

He picked it up, said a polite "Very nice." and left. I was kind of let down, but whatever, i was pleased with it.

Yesterday, his girlfriend called. They are getting married, and I must do their wedding cake.

"I cried when I saw that teapot cake, I was so touched that Elmer went to so much trouble to make it personal. It was the most romantic thing he's ever done for me."

I kept my mouth firmly shut. Elmer gets credit for a romantic gesture, I get a wedding cake order. Everyone's happy.

So, always do a little more than you are asked. What goes around does come around.

14 replies
Doug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 15

YEAH!

of course this means you now have to upload the picture of the teapot cake for use to ooooh and aaaaah over

and then the wedding cake too!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 15

Nice thought.

Parable Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 15

Good for Elmer.....GREAT for YOU!

LadyG33 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 15

thumbs_up.gif Thats awesome! I would love to see the tea pot cake!

Carolynlovescake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nchanted1

"I cried when I saw that teapot cake, I was so touched that Elmer went to so much trouble to make it personal. It was the most romantic thing he's ever done for me."

That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are!

bisbqueenb Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 15

Just another way to 'pay it forward'.... I never think twice about adding a little extra to an order. I like to think the customer always gets a little more than they expected.

misserica Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 15

Nchanted that's great. I believe what goes around comes around too, you never know! And just think, you will probably get some business from their wedding as well.

I read a post on here awhile back about someone paying a toll for the car behind them. so I started doing it. I frequent a toll road and every single time I go over at a specific point I pay an extra $1 for the car behind me. I do not have a lot of extra money to spare but I just think if it were me in the car behind me and some random stranger paid my toll it would make my day!

indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parable

Good for Elmer.....GREAT for YOU!

ditto! thumbs_up.gif

Carolynlovescake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:42pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by misserica

I read a post on here awhile back about someone paying a toll for the car behind them. so I started doing it. I frequent a toll road and every single time I go over at a specific point I pay an extra $1 for the car behind me. I do not have a lot of extra money to spare but I just think if it were me in the car behind me and some random stranger paid my toll it would make my day!

I used to do that when crossing the Golden Gate bridge when I lived in the bay area and would have to go into the city.

I have to admit something though it was fun to slowly pull away and watch the guy try to still pay the guy and shrugging and bickering with him and then give up then try to catch up to say thanks. icon_twisted.gif

It was fun though knowing that chances were they were a frazzled commuter just like me and maybe my random act of kindness made their day go a little better.

DebBTX Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #11 of 15

It's wonderful to hear sweet stories. It sounds like your cake will always be a special part of that woman's happy memories.

Hopefully poor Elmer will "learn as he goes" to think more romantically. icon_rolleyes.gif

-Debbie B.

mcaulir Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 15

I hope they're not getting married because he's so romantic and thoughtful! She's in for a disappointment!

JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 15

My daughter is a manager at In-N-Out and the quite often get people paying for the order behind them...

jlynnw Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:17pm
post #14 of 15

I choose to think that he is a smart man and now knows where to go to get all his special orders from. Customer service is always #1 and you became their #1 by doing great service. I bet you will have clients for many more occasions, baby showers, birthdays, anniversaries all for a special little extra on 1 cake.

Sox-n-Pats Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

My daughter is a manager at In-N-Out and the quite often get people paying for the order behind them...

Did you guys hear this story that happened at a Starbucks last year?

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/article_37448662-8e1c-503e-95e0-514ea5e40acd.html

Earlier this year, I was in a hurry to get to work, and really needed a coffee. So I cut the corner into the drive through and ended up cutting someone off. Oops. My daughter looks back and says "Hey that's Auntie J!!"

So I get up to the window and ask the guy (I actually know the guy too) if the lady behind me ordered a grande carmel latte? He says Huh? I replied that she was my sister and I just cut her off in line. So he looks and says Yup-that what she ordered. So I paid for hers too and asked the guy to tell her sorry for cutting her off and to have a better day now. He does, and I can see her laugh- he's laughing too.

Now, my sister and I have never gotten along, and we live 9 house apart. She called my mom and said how it made her day. She never did thank me though- I heard it from my mom. (ya, that's my sis).

It's all about how you feel after doing the good dead, not how they react (although I admit it's a buzz kill when they are dorks about it)

Kick butt on their wedding cake!!!!!!!!! They could have you do the baby shower cake and their kids birthday cakes too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%