Never Used Fondant Before But Need To Create!

Decorating By alisonvannoy Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm by sadsmile

alisonvannoy Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:48am
post #1 of 6

I have never used fondant before in modeling anything other than stripes and stars.

I need to create a pea in a pod (similar to what is shown here):

Can I create this out of a stiff BC? I think it would be better in fondant, but I have never made it, and it's just not price friendly to purchase such a small quantity. I could make it but the easy recipes are marshmellow fondant, and I don't know if that will be as stiff as I need.

Which would be better?[/url]

5 replies
djs328 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:39am
post #2 of 6

Have you tried modeling chocolate? You can make a small quantity, in any color you need, and it's very price friendly. A wonderful alternative to fondant!! I made some a couple of weeks ago for the first time (I'm not a fondant fan) and it was great! Would work perfectly for your peas in a pod! And you can roll it like fondant for the dots on the cake (if you are doing those, too) I used it on my 1st Birthday Safari cake for the animals and basically everything you see.
The recipe is on CC...

It looks weird when you first mix the corn syrup into the melted choc, but fridge it and then knead it. You can blot any excess fat/liquid with a paper towel.

christinapp Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 6

djs328, can modeling chocolate be used to cover cakes???

djs328 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 6
Originally Posted by christinapp

djs328, can modeling chocolate be used to cover cakes???

From what I understand, yes. I've not done it personally, but there was a thread a while back that linked to someone's website with pics of the most gorgeous cakes, all covered in this stuff! icon_smile.gif I think I remember someone saying that most people do the sides in one piece, and then a piece on the top. I think it's much more difficult to wrap around those corners...
here's the thread:

about halfway down, drakegore posted the link.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

hynest Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 6

I use mmf for many shapes and models. I think the trick is to let the model dry out fpr a couple of days.

sadsmile Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 6

Modeling chocolate and gumpaste can be made in small amounts. Both will work. The chocolate will taste good and the gumpaste will harden. If making it from fondant you would want to add a little hardener like tylose to it to help it keep the shape you make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%