How Do I...? Cupcake Bouquets?

Baking By umgrzfn Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm by umgrzfn

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:21am
post #1 of 18

How do you (anyone who does) make those beautiful cupcake bouqets? What type of stick do you put them on, how do you keep them from sliding down...any information would be sooo much appreciated. I tried finding answers to my questions, but couldn't find quite what I was looking for. TIA

17 replies
three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:30am
post #2 of 18

http://onlycupcakes.tumblr.com/post/128270346/here-is-a-little-step-by-step-instruction-on-how

in the pictures shes using one toothpick but i highly reccomend using 2-3 toothpicks per cupcake. also try to put your toothpick in at an upward slant.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:49am
post #3 of 18

Here are is a photo tutorial by Sandra Socakes on how she puts them together: http://www.flickr.com/photos/socake/2460701146/

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:52am
post #4 of 18

I know somewhere on here there is an article & I thought I saved it.....can't find it. It was for a vase & was really good.....maybe somebody else has it. I would like to have it also & maybe this time I would save it where I could find it.

umgrzfn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 18

That's great. Thank you for your replies. Here is my favorite photo. I haven't PM'd the poster because this pic was posted in 2007 and it still shows her as being a "newbie" so I was worried I wouldn't get a reply anyway. Do you all think this is done in the same fashion as the flickr photos you posted? I mean with toothpicks? Doesn't cc slide down though? I guess I just can't wrap my mind around how they "stay put" espcially with the ones on the side of the boquet. Anyway, any tips/tricks are greatly appriciated. Thanks again Melnick...also threesets..do you really have three sets of twins?
LL

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 18

I think the one in the flickr photos is actually mini cupcakes which is why a toothpick is probably sufficient.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:17am
post #7 of 18

That pink one in the glass is pretty, I wonder what the support is underneath, because of the shape? I've had the same problem with the skewers poking through the top of the cupcake. I think the only way to avoid it - from my trial and error - is to use the foam ball. When you have that dome shape you can push the toothpick or skewer in far enough so that the cupcake can only go so far and then it is sitting on the foam. I've been using florist foam because I like to arrange the flowers in a nice design, but the ones up higher end up slipping.

Another idea I just thought of is to put a little smear of BC on the bottom of the cupcake to "Glue it" to the foam for extra security.

Cold cupcakes that are made with a dense recipe are also easier to work with. HTH
Lauren icon_smile.gif

umgrzfn Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 18

Great idea Lauren! TY!!!!!!! I'll give it a whirl!

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:57am
post #9 of 18

i've been dying to make one of these... but i'm afraid the icing will slip also from the cupcakes... how do you make it "stay put" also? sorry to hi-jack your thread umgrzfn... hope you could share some tips also icon_smile.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:30am
post #10 of 18

I've never had icing slip off my cakes, just make sure it is a fairly thick consistency, which you should have to hold the flower piping anyway.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:37pm
post #11 of 18

i posted a tutorial about a year ago, i believe it was in august, that does not require the styrofoam balls, which are very expensive.

i use pea gravel or styrofoam peanuts that come in my packages to make the pot heavier and to stabalize the dowel rods.

do a search for "cupcake AND tutorial" and my name as the poster. this should bring up the tutorial.

newnancy Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 18

mixinvixen,

I love your name.

I remember your tutorial & I searched and it doesn't come up. I even searched under your posts but only the recent ones come up...1st page only. I thought I saved it, I guess I should have printed it. Would you happen to still have it?

mixinvixen Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #13 of 18

thanks, nancy!

i found it in aug 21, 2008

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-600270-cupcake.html+tutorial

hope this helps!
starla

mixinvixen Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #14 of 18

thanks, nancy!

i found it in aug 21, 2008

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-600270-cupcake.html+tutorial

hope this helps!
starla

newnancy Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 18

Starla,

Thanks! That was the one I was looking for cause I remember you doing so many. It's a shame the pictures were removed, they were great. I'm going to have to give this a try anyway.

Thanks again,
Nancy

mixinvixen Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #16 of 18

THE UPDATED TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE AND HAS BEEN REPOSTED AS A NEW THREAD UNDER CAKE DECORATING, TITLED "MIXINVIXENS CUPCAKE BOUQUET TUTORIAL"

hope this helps!

starla

newnancy Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:56am
post #17 of 18

Starla,

Thanks, you're the greatest!

Nancy

umgrzfn Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #18 of 18

GREAT TUTORIAL!!!! Thx Vixon!!!!