Anybody In Sc Doing Cakes At Home?

Decorating By newbaker1357 Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm by newbaker1357

newbaker1357 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:38am
post #1 of 3

I live in SC and have thought about starting a business on the side. I looked at the info on one of the state's websites and it does not say anything specific about cakes and homes. I am guessing that I would not be able to "legally" do a business at home. The info I looked at said that as a caterer, I would not need to get a license if I had one customer and it was no more than 4 times a year. Otherwise, I would need a license. Does that mean cakes? I am thinking it does but I have been known to make simple things very complicated by overthinking them. Also, if you have to have a kitchen (not your own) could you use a business's kitchen that is in an office? Thanks.

2 replies
jenise11 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 3

You would be considered a "week end baker". You can not advertise at all. Bake sales, including weekend home bakers
who prepare nonpotentially hazardous breads
and pastries for friends and neighbors only
and who do not advertise or possess a
business license.
Call DHEC and let them know what you are trying to do and they'll be able to give you some insight.
What I know for sure is that you can bake and sell by word of mouth to friends and family but you can not advertise at all. Thats what was told to me by an inspector and thats what i read in their regulations. Let me know what else you find out.

newbaker1357 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 3

I called DHEC and that is what the lady (should have gotten her name) told me. I was just so excited that I would be able to sell to family (not close family, that's free) and friends so I could get extra pans and supplies without getting in trouble while I practiced. I forgot to ask her other things like renting a kitchen space. I am planning on calling her back. I tried to find other stuff online about weekend bakers but I did not see anything. Thanks and let me know what else you find out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%