50Th Anniv. Replicate Or Modern Cake

Decorating By sweetcakes Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm by Texas_Rose

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 7

doyou think a couple celebrating their 50th would prefer a replica of their wedding cake or a modern style cake? of course i know thats their choice and they would tell you, but what im thinking is doing a 50th wedd display cake to go along when i do my next bridal show. Theres alot of mothers and grandmas come to these things so they might have a big anniversary party too sometime in the future. Im tempted to make something dated as long as i have the 50 showing on the top. or should i just focus on the newlyweds and modern cakes?

6 replies
sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:58am
post #2 of 7

good point. the older style may appeal to some of the crowd. however, i think it may turn off some of your brides who represent the majority of the clients at such a show. i guess its really a matter of opinion though. good luck!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 7

if enough space in display area --

different table cloth (gold?, sliver?)

clear signage (Anniversary Cakes)

one of each 25 & 50

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 7

For my parent's 50th (before I was decorating) my cousin did their cake. It was a blend of traditional and modern. It was a traditional piped buttercream in the hex pans and at each 'panel' of the hex was an edible image of them in different stages of their marriage, right up to the weddings of the children, to pics of grandchildren, finished with their original wedding topper.

Everyone, including my parents were amazed at the cake. I wish I had a picture of it to share. It was a lovely tribute to a long-lasting love.

Just an idea I thought I would share. Enjoy your day!

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 7

I am in the same position. My in-laws are celebrating their 50th and I need to decide what to do. Since my DH would have to be the one to find pics of their wedding and/or their cake topper, I guess I will be going modern! icon_rolleyes.gif

As for a display, I would probably (if space permits) do a very small sample of each.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 7

I'm not a decorator, but if I could have done my parents cake from back then, that would be cool. BUT maybe sometimes, back then, that's all they could have afforded. And now, 50 yrs. later, they want to do it big.

Could a possible SMALLER version of their cake (if you had pics) be made with an evolving larger cake of new modern be made?

Just my thoughts

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 7

I'm making a 40th anniversary cake for my parents next month. It can't be a replica of their wedding cake because they eloped and didn't have a wedding cake. My mom loves fondant though, so it's going to be fondant with gumpaste flowers. I think it depends on the individual person. I don't think brides would be put off by the fact that you can make modern and traditional cakes...it's just a way of showing that you can do it all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%