Roll Call: What's Your Life Outside Of Cakes?

Lounge By auntmamie Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 5:00am by SugarFrosted

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #1 of 92

Thought this would be fun, in conjunction with the other thread going on "the game".

Where do you live?

What do you do?

Who is your family?

Ok, since I started, I'll go first!
1. I'm in a suburb of Burlington, VT
2. I'm a captive insurance accountant (caking keeps me centered)
3. I'm divorced, single, no BF and no kids. But, the right guy is out there for me to find! I'm really close to my mom, oldest sister, and best friend.

Who's up next?

91 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:26am
post #2 of 92

1.I live in San Antonio, TX.

2.I am a stay-home mommy. Before that I've done various things, mostly retail management which I am never interested in doing again.

3.I've been married for 12 years and we have two daughters, a 7 year old and a 4 year old.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:51am
post #3 of 92

1. I live in Southern California (north of L.A.).

2. I am an instructional designer for a university, specializing in online instruction.

3. I am married and have a 16 year old son. I also have two 5 year old cats.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:23am
post #4 of 92

1. I am in Bakersfield , California.

2. I am a Stay at home Housewife (I would say stay at home mom but my daughter is 21) I was a Waitress for 10 years. Now other than Cakes to keep busy I make handmade Aprons for my website. I am Taoist and lead a Yoga / meditation group for a few friends.

3. I have been married since I was 14 , had my daughter when I was 16 , Still married 23 years now. I have 3 chihuahuas. Piglet is 11 , Cali-Roo is 9 and Scrappy is
2. My daughter is my best friend and she turned 21 in November.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:01am
post #5 of 92

1. I live in Northern Ca. But JaimeAnn, I was born and raised in Bakersfield.

2. I am a rural letter carrier, for 22 years now.

3. Been married to my high school sweetheart for 25 yrs. I have three kids, 23, 22, and 17.

JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:04am
post #6 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

1. I live in Northern Ca. But JaimeAnn, I was born and raised in Bakersfield.

2. I am a rural letter carrier, for 22 years now.

3. Been married to my high school sweetheart for 25 yrs. I have three kids, 23, 22, and 17.

I was born and raised in Oxnard and moved up to Bakersfield when the coast got too expensive!

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:08am
post #7 of 92

I live in Saudi Arabia, but am origionally from houston Tx, moved back and forth through houston and san antonio.

I am a stay at home mom but taught elementary school before that.

I have a 12 year old and 2 sets of twins from a previous marriage, and one set of twins from my current marriage. Husband is an F-15 pilot, major, in the air force.

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:11am
post #8 of 92

Where do you live?

I'm in Las Vegas. We've been here just about 19 years and love it. I have never lived in a town for more than 5 yrs- mostly 3 yrs each place so it's weird to say 19, but I don't think I could ever live anywhere else. We have a cabin in CO that we love to visit for weeks here and there, but I couldn't live there.

What do you do?

I am a teacher. I teach 4th grade. This year will be my 14th year teaching, but about 9 yrs ago I retired and then took a 2 yr leave of absence to stay home with my 2 kids while they were little, then came went back to work after Sept. 11th.

Who is your family?
My hubby of 19 yrs (we were sep. for 3 years; just back together for about 2 yrs now), my son is 14, my daughter is 11. My children are amazing. They still give me hugs good night each night and come snuggle in my bed for movies and popcorn. My daughter is a gymnast and works out 4 hrs a night 5 nights a week. My son plays the violin. So I get to cart them around everywhere. They also get along very well- best friends (but don't tell them)

My sister lives 9 houses down with her husband and 4 kids (2 in college, a 13 yr old and a 19 yr old). My aunt lives 2 houses down from her.

JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:25am
post #9 of 92

Sox:

I usually take about 4 vacations a year to Vegas , I love it there . I stay away from the strip though can't stand all the tourists!

I stay at the Four Queens and Sam's Town. Next trip we should get all the Vegas CCers together. I know Rylan lives there.

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:36am
post #10 of 92

Sounds good to me!!

We drive through Bakersfield roughly 3 times a year as well if my daughter has a competition, clinic or camp in CA somewhere or if the Red Sox are playing in Anaheim.

I will even be driving through this week sometime on our way to March Air Museum. I need to take a picture of a memorial tile I bought for my great uncle before we head to the 65th memorial service at the end of the month.

lynnfrompa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynnfrompa Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #11 of 92

1. I'm from Pennsylvania.

2. Outside of baking for a hobby I am a SAHM. I have 4 kids, 3 boys and 1 girl.

3. I have been married for 10 years in November. With the boys all in different sports I am constantly running from 1 practice to another. The oldest (13) is in football, the second (11) is a soccer player the third (7) is a baseball player. My girl (4) hasn't started anything yet, she is my little helper. Wanting to get her a play kitchen so she can pretend bake like me rather than using my pans icon_rolleyes.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:53pm
post #12 of 92

It's fun to find out about everybody...

I live in Springfield, Ky-a beautiful area of rolling green hills.

I am a retired middle school social studies teacher-...now I play with grandbabies, cakes, and horses, and I still volunteer at the school where I taught for 29 years.
I am friends with a group of women who take hiking "adventures" each year. We've hiked the Grand Canyon (Supai) twice, Glacier Nat'l Park, the Colorado Rockies, Acadia National Park, Sequoia, Yosemite, and some areas closer to home.

I've been married for 32 (WOW that's hard to believe) years. My husband is also a retired teacher who raises Rocky Mountain horses. (Know anybody that needs one or two...or ten???) We have two married sons, Nicholas and Nathan, two great DILs Beth and Jessica, and a precious granddaughter Kayton, and the energizer bunny of grandsons, Evan.

Next??? Anybody else from KY want to chime in?

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 92

I'm from Springfield, Ohio

I am an Office Manager by day and have been for years.

I have been married to my second husband for about 4 months. By son is 16 and the quarterback for the high school football team. My daughter is nine and is a cheerleader. She is also an avid reader and loves to write stories. I have a stepson who is fourteen and wants nothing more than to be exactly like my 16 yr. old. I am also raising by 8 yr. old niece because my older sister is a longtime drug addict and is soon to go back to prison.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #14 of 92

I'm from Calgary,Alberta,Canada..The province right above Montana..Alberta is much like Texas...Lots of farming and cattle..We also have the Canadian Rockies 80 miles away!! Calgary is also the oil capital of Canada.Very young vibrant city..1 million people!Born and raised and lived here all my life.Will never move!

I'm a stay at home Mom but worked retail for many years before I got married and had kids.I have a home based cake business which keep me busy also.

I will be married 10 years this friday to a wonderful man John and have 2 beautiful children..My son Mitchell is 8 and my daughter Delaney is 6.Both are active in sports and dance.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:18pm
post #15 of 92

Oh I love these threads. Its cool to learn who I am chatting away on CC with.

I am from Central New Jersey, close to the beach.

I am currently working part time at a grocery store bakery. I am waiting for my NJ Teaching Certificate (I finally passed my test!) and once that comes I will be applying for a teaching job within our public school system.

I live with my parents and 20 year old brother, my two Labs, a toy Pomeranian mix and my two elderly great aunts.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:26pm
post #16 of 92

Nice to "meet" you all!

I'm in Collinsville, Illinois, across the river from St. Louis. I was a SAHM for 15 years, but have worked 12 years running an elementary school computer lab, doing the webpage and keeping all those machines running (and baking for all my teacher friends!).

I have 3 kids: a daughter, Amy Rose (25), who just got her Masters and would very much love a job that doesn't involve serving food and bar tending, and 2 sons, Adam (21), a music performance major who's getting ready to start Grad School, and Benjamin (1icon_cool.gif, who's starting college in a few weeks. So, I figure I'll be completely broke for 4 more years anyway!

I've been married to my DH, David, for 6 years now. I was married 21 years the first time. Our two "kids" are two Shih Tzu's, Bailey and Beau.

Jodie

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #17 of 92

I'm a Grandmother to 2 boys, 6 & 3. Have been retired from Verizon for 7 years. (I retired at 50). I took a year off and then went to work part time 20 hours a week in an office about 3 miles from my home.

I live north of Baltimore, MD. I've always been interested in baking, but didn't have time for decorating before retirement. I got into the Sugar Art Hobby about 4 years ago.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #18 of 92

Good idea!

I live in Yukon, Canada

I teach high school.

My family is my husband, love of my life, and our two kids. Our daughter Aidan is 7, and our son Tannen is 5.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:12am
post #19 of 92

love this!

1) i'm currently in a town just outside of boise, idaho. but i'm originally from the central coast in california (pismo beach to be near-exact). and i went to school in orange county for about 2 years. now i'm in here, but mostly just to finish up school.

2) i'm a second year in college (would be a third, but i had some breaks and some culinary school inbetween "normal college")

3) since i do not believe in marriage and, though i love, love, love kids (especially my nieces and nephews!!!), i want exactly ZERO of them, my family is mainly my parents (since i just moved back in for a short period of time). but i have a HUGE extended family. i'm sort of adopted, but i know my entire birth family. so i have my "adopted" family and my birth family. and, oh, did i mention i'm mexican? you do the math! haha.

JaimeAnn Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:49am
post #20 of 92

Hi adree313 I am going to Avilla beach and Morro Bay this week.. I will grab some In-N-Out in honor of you . hahahhahahah

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #21 of 92

'm still a newbie here but I figured I'd jump in!

1. I was born and raised in Miami,FL and I will probably live here forever! I love it icon_smile.gif
2. I am a student working towards an MA in Religious Studies, and I also work full time in the College of Business Administration at the same University. I am now also a part-time baker/ cake designer! My mom is helping me start my business (legally!).
3. I just got married 4 months ago and so far so good! I have a huge family. They big, they're loud, and they're Cuban. We get together every Sunday and they're such a blessing icon_smile.gif.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm
post #22 of 92

1. Live in Muskegon, MI

2. Married to an Air Force man, who is currently in South Korea until next June

3. 3 kids. My son is 4 and my twin girls are 15 months

4. Right now I'm trying so hard to finish my Bachelor's in Biology so I can apply to Physician Assistant school in the next 2 years or so.

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:53pm
post #23 of 92

I love these threads too!

1. I was born, raised, and have always lived in Atlanta, Georgia (or in suburbs thereabout), but my husband and I are getting ready to move to Central PA very, very soon (it's where he's from, but it's totally my idea). Can't wait to get away from the big city and into the mountains and farmland.

2. I am an office manager here, and I hope to find a similar job (please at PSU!) when or before we get up there.

3. My husband and I have been married for eight years this past July 1st. We have no children yet, but really hope to soon! I was pregnant last year, but gave birth at 20 weeks - unfortunately, way too early for the baby to have survived.

**I can't believe I forgot to mention my 17-year old baby - My cat! I've had her since she was a kitten. She can be a crotchety old bag, but she is really precious.

adree313 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #24 of 92

hm guess my post didn't go through... to jaime ann... i don't know whether to say thank you or to be hurt! my dad is visiting california and he called the other day JUST to say he was eating lunch there. now THAT is mean!
and avila beach is about 7 miles from where i was born and raised! tell it hi for me icon_sad.gif

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #25 of 92

I live in Boise, Idaho and LOVE it. I've lived here for 12 years.
I work for a large corporation in IT. I was married for 24 years but am now divorced (2 years) in those two years I have taken up cake decorating, crewing for a hot air balloon, become a certified Kansas City BBQ judge, traveled to seven countries and swam in three triathlons- I've seen too many woman who can't survive divorce or can't seem to make it on their own. I wasn't going to let that happen to me so I threw myself into any and every activity that interested me. I don't regret it for one second.
My family? My son 26, and daughter 22 and lots of friends who I call family

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #26 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

in those two years I have taken up cake decorating, crewing for a hot air balloon, become a certified Kansas City BBQ judge, traveled to seven countries and swam in three triathlons- I've seen too many woman who can't survive divorce or can't seem to make it on their own. I wasn't going to let that happen to me so I threw myself into any and every activity that interested me. I don't regret it for one second.

Good for you! thumbs_up.gif That's awesome to see people out there getting out and enjoying life!

JaimeAnn Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #27 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

hm guess my post didn't go through... to jaime ann... i don't know whether to say thank you or to be hurt! my dad is visiting california and he called the other day JUST to say he was eating lunch there. now THAT is mean!
and avila beach is about 7 miles from where i was born and raised! tell it hi for me icon_sad.gif

I Love going to avila . We always have dinner at the seafood restaurant at the end of the pier. I love looking through the shops in Moro Bay. My daughter is a manager at In-N-Out so I have to smell it every day. It gets old after a wile. LOL

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #28 of 92

1. I am originally from the San Francisco area but currently lives in Las Vegas, NV. Two different places but I love it here.

2. I used to be a caregiver and was in charge with the activities when I work during the day. I usually worked 12 hour night shifts and also prepared gourmet breakfast for the residents before leaving work.

3. I cannot bear any children (we tried so many times). Fudge is my only child.

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:07pm
post #29 of 92

I have been living in Baton Rouge, LA for 29 years, but grew up in Michigan. Talk about a shock to the system when I first encountered this heat and humidity!! But I love it here now. The people and food are fantastic.

I am retired from a career in banking and now enjoy my grandchildren, cooking and baking. I have learned so much about cake decorating from CC and continue to experiment with new ideas.

I am soon to celebrate my 41st anniversary with my highschool sweetheart. We have a daughter and son who have blessed us with 5 grandchildren. Abigail 6, Megan 4, Alaina 15 mths, Henry 3 and Katie 11mths are the joys of my life and I love to fulfill their Birthday Cake requests.

adree313 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm
post #30 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

I Love going to avila . We always have dinner at the seafood restaurant at the end of the pier. I love looking through the shops in Moro Bay. My daughter is a manager at In-N-Out so I have to smell it every day. It gets old after a wile. LOL

when i was going to school in fullerton i lived around the corner from an in-n-out and i agree, the smell DOES get old. but it sure is a good eat! i haven't found anything comparable to it in idaho yet. and i doubt it even exists! that's another thing i miss about home.. the freshest seafood EVER. i've been on a hunt for that here, but have also (mostly) failed. maybe idgalpal can chime in for me!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%