My First Cake Diaster

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm by ohayr639

ohayr639 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #1 of 10

So I built this kick a** three 4 inch each tiered cake for a friend (paying friend too) whose husband just passed his U.S. citizenship test. It looked so pretty and I worked so hard. It took me almost an hour for each to smooth the cream cheese frosting to a point I was happy. We were running late and I didn't have a box so we put it in a laundry basket that I didn't know had a pillow in it, I just thought there were towels. Well anyways we got on the highway and I looked back and it was tilting so we stopped and I took the top two tiers off to save those and went to put them down completely forgetting I still had a dowel running through them and they tipped. I was mortified, I cried and cursed A LOT. Long story short I learned that there can never be enough dowels in each layer and that I will never put cakes in a laundry basket again!

9 replies
Eisskween Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:04am
post #2 of 10

How awful for you. We all have our ups and downs. The important part is that we learn from our mistakes. Sorry this happened to you.

ohayr639 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 10

That's okay. . . Thanks! I did learn a lot so I guess it was all worthwhile!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 10

Oh I hate that that happened.

An idea for you for going forward.

While you have time well before you begin to bake, get your delivery box ready. Cause who's got time to dither with a box when you're down in the crucial minutes before a deilvery.

In fact I take it a step farther.

During this early time I make sure I have what I need in the car, that the boxes fit in the car, that at a certain point in the creation of the cake I meet myself--I meet my earlier plans--I get to stop thinking and just put the already made flowers and decor on the cake, get to place the cake in the waiting box that fits in the car just so--

Maybe have a roll of paper towels in the car to level the back seat if necessary--little things like that that blow your mind at delivery unless you laid out the bread crumbs in advance. Like Hansel & Gretel bread crumbs type of thing. Have the nubbly shelpf liner in the car so you don't have to look for it or scarf it up from under the glasses in the cupboard. icon_biggrin.gif

Delivery thoughts for you.

ohayr639 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks! Those are good ideas. What is a good place to find boxes?

SkullSweets Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 10

you can get cake boxes from ac moore or michaels

chefjess819 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 10

my walmart has just started to carry cake boxes in the wedding section. thumbs_up.gif

chica07 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 10

My cakes are too heavy and tall for regular cake boxes. I use the cardboard boxes that Lays potato chips come in-- they can hold a 14 inch round or 19 inch rectangle. I just go to walmart and catch the guy stocking the chips and get some from him. Tape it up and you are good.

Melchas Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 10

I made my last box from a large packing box. I cut one of the sides completely on both corners and left the bottom attached, put royal icing under the cake, slid it inito the box and taped the sides backup, then taped the top shut.

I made sure the box I got was only a couple of inches bigger that the cake, but tall enough to not damage the top.

A friend of the bride picked the cake up so, I wanted it to be easy to transport and remove once they got to the recption. It made it without a hitch!

ohayr639 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%