Crumb Coat

Decorating By Stephler Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 1:29am by cylstrial

Stephler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephler Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:53am
post #1 of 8

Hi Guys,

I just made my first two tiered cake and I had a problem with the fondant sagging. Could it be because I didnt stack them properly? or
Are you supposed to let the crumbcoat dry before applying the fondant?
I'm wondering if maybe I'm putting on too much buttercream.

Any help would be great!!!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:06am
post #2 of 8

No you don't let the icing dry before applying fondant. It needs to be sticky/wet so the fondant sticks to the cake/icing.
W/o seeing a pic it's hard to tell you what you might have done wrong.

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:32am
post #3 of 8

Kakeladi is right.In addition,you probably used too much icing like you suspected.That happened to me before.

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 8

First, you need a crusting buttercream. In my experience, this is the most important thing. You also need to make sure that the crumbcoat is dry. If it's too soft, it won't be able to hold the fondant up. I always crumboat and then place the cake in the freezer for a couple of hours. Then, I spray a very light mist of sugar water over the cake before applying the fondant (it needs something to stick too). I've been able to get some really nice sharp corners like this, and I've found that the cake comes out very moist and yummy icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 8

I don't use a crusting buttercream myself, however, I refrigerate my cakes after frosting so the buttercream is nice and firm before putting on the fondant, and then it goes right back into the fridge for the fondant to "set"

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 8

PinkZiab....which BC recipe do you use. I've always been terrified to try the non-crusting type! I'd love to know more though.

Also, does it taste different....better?

Thx!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi33

PinkZiab....which BC recipe do you use. I've always been terrified to try the non-crusting type! I'd love to know more though.

Also, does it taste different....better?

Thx!

I use an Italian Meringue Buttercream... it tastes VASTLY different from an American Buttercream (although I will do that by special request, if the client begs lol--but even my American BC does not crust). All of my buttercreams are made with butter, which changes the taste as well. Whether or not it tastes better is a matter of personal opinion... to me, it tastes WORLDS better.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:29am
post #8 of 8

Pink - your talk of IMBC is making me want SMBC. Hehe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%