1 Versus 3?? (Torte/don't Torte.??)

Decorating By liha21 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm by Gingoodies

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 22

Ok, so this may be a stupid question but I have to ask anyway. I know that for wedding cakes you do 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling per tier. And I also know that you can do 2 layers of cake with 1 layer of filling, just don't torte and fill each one.
So the question is do any of you pro's do wedding cakes one way and birthday cakes and other cakes the other way?
I'm working on setting my prices and want to quit selling myself short. Does it make sense to offer the cake with only 1 layer of filling and charge a little less? Or should I just stick to all cake being the same way?

Any suggestions would be great.

21 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:50am
post #2 of 22

My wedding cakes are 2 layers of cake with 1 layer of filling. I'd never heard of nor seen a torted cake until I got to cake central.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:56am
post #3 of 22

and I who grew up just 90 miles west of IndyDebi have always seen at home and in my many travels as 4/3 combo.

soo.....just goes to show -- do what floats your boat in your area.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:05am
post #4 of 22

All of my cakes are 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling. I like the presentation better.

I charge the same price per serving whether it's a Wedding, Birthday, Anniversary, etc.

HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:29am
post #5 of 22

I like doing 4 layers with 3 fillings (though I don't do alot of wedding cakes I still do it on all other cakes) because I like that when you eat it you get icing or filling with every bit of cake. icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:39am
post #6 of 22

I have always torted , 3 layers of filling. I think it sets my cakes apart from other local bakers who do 2 layers of cake 1 filling. I personally think it gives it a higher end look, and helps in my area to justify my higher prices. Since I do all my cakes this way the occasion doesn't matter.

Although I got a tip on here today, that when using a filling other than buttercream to alternate , making the middle layer filled with buttercream. I think it was dkelly that does that. So I think I am going to try that.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 22

For me it just depends on time. If I have time, I'll have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. If I don't have a lot of time, I'll do 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of filling.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 22

I torte all of my cakes, not just wedding (although some are a 3" tier torted twice, rather than 2 2" tiers each torted once). I can't stand big hunks of cake with just one layer of filling. I like a higher filling to cake ratio, and I also LOVE the way it looks when it's been cut.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 22

all my cakes, regardless of wedding, birthday, shower, etc, get torted (4 layers of cake/3 filling.)

i *love* the way it looks and people always ooh and ahhh when served a slice. yes, it is a bit of a pain but in the end it's *definitely* worth it! plus, most cake places around me only do the 2 layers of cake so it sets me apart from the rest...

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #10 of 22

thanks everyone. It's so funny to see how different we all do things.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 22

2 and 1 for me all of the time.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 22

Okay...so let me throw this out there....I see Cake boss and Ace of cakes bakes all their cakes at 1 inches high and layers them all on..Like some cake of Duff's are 7 layers thick.Buddy...same thing ..at least 4 layers of sponge cake high and I love how it is so plyable and flexible too! So my question is this...Is a cake sturdier if you use 1 inch layers and stack them 4 high with filling in between 3 layers of filling or is it stronger using 2- two inch layers high with filling in just the middle? I've often wondered!!
I want to try this but I am afraid my cake will tip over or crumble.

Any thoughts!!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:30pm
post #13 of 22

All you torters, do you use the AgBay or a certain method? I can't get good even layers freehand with my knife. I've heard of using toothpicks but haven't tried.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 22

I hardly ever torte my cakes. If I want more than two layers of cake I will bake my cakes lower. I like the idea of having that "crust" above and below the filling layer. No worries about fillings soaking into the cake, easier for me to handle, less crumbs. I also bake my sheet cakes in layers too. Much easier to handle than torting those big cakes. For me anyway.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #15 of 22

i used my agbay...makes it sooo much easier!

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

I hardly ever torte my cakes. If I want more than two layers of cake I will bake my cakes lower. I like the idea of having that "crust" above and below the filling layer. No worries about fillings soaking into the cake, easier for me to handle, less crumbs. I also bake my sheet cakes in layers too. Much easier to handle than torting those big cakes. For me anyway.

If you use sleeve fillings, they don't soak into the cake.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:48pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

All of my cakes are 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling. I like the presentation better.

I charge the same price per serving whether it's a Wedding, Birthday, Anniversary, etc.

HTH

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #18 of 22

What is a sleeve filling?

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:04pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barski63

What is a sleeve filling?

http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx (put "filling" in the search field)

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:20pm
post #20 of 22

Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #21 of 22

I use to do a 2/1 ratio but have changed to 4/3 ratio.
I still give the option though just in case. So far every cake I've made since Feb. has been requested torted.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #22 of 22

Most of the cakes I do have a mousse filling and a lot have fresh fruit also.
I have used some of the sleeved fillings if the customer does not want the mousse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%