How Long Will A Decorated Cake Be Good?

Decorating By Melchas Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm by Gingoodies

Melchas Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 6

I have a friend who wants me to make her son's first B-day cake. She is having the party on Sunday Sept 6th. I am leaving for vacation on the Wed before, so it would need to keep from Tues to Sun.

Can a cake keep that long? Can I freeze it? It would be Buttercream with a fondant crab on top and RI netting around the sides and buttercream filling. I really want to do the cake, but only if it will keep.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:08am
post #2 of 6

That would be too long to leave it out. I don't use RI often so I don't know about freezing it, especially how it would do with the moisture from thawing, maybe someone else will know.

Babygirlx Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:45am
post #3 of 6

I did my kids cake last yr like that. I made it tues and kept in fridge til Sunday. The buttercream held all the moisture in and when we ate it, it was still moist and very delicious. If it was cut, I wouldn't leave that long though. I would definitely say as long as you have butter cream inside, it should be good for 2 weeks but fresh fruit inside, you may be cutting into a molded mess. LOL

Gingoodies Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 6

I think the fat in the BC will start to break down the RI decorations if left for that length of time. Also the moisture created from thawing the cake will also affect the RI. If there is a way to do the netting in BC, it should be ok. Perhaps your friend could just place the crab on top at the time she puts the cake out the day of the party.

Melchas Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 6

What about fondant on the cake? The crab will be made out of fondant. She was also wondering if I covered it in fondant and put it the fridge, would it keep better than buttercream?

Gingoodies Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 6

I don't really work with fondant, so I cannot say that it will or will not hold up in the fridge for that length of time. I do know that a BC iced cake will. I would not do the netting in RI. If you can pipe that in BC it will work. As far as the fondant crab, I would put it in a box and let her place it on top of the cake the day of the party.

Quote by @%username% on %date%