Combining Styles ... Cakes W/drapes

Decorating By CakeItGood Updated 25 Aug 2005 , 6:58pm by CakeItGood

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 4:01am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!

This weekend is the big date for my first stacked/tiered cake, was wondering if I could run my design idea by you and get some opinions?

The cake is going to have three tiers ... 8, 10, 14 done in 3" pans (yes I am a nut job icon_biggrin.gif ). All are covered in fondant (combination white/violet). The 8 is diamond quilted white fondant w/silver dragees & violet colored Wilton punch-out fondant flowers at the corners. The top has fondant roses with silver accents and a fondant drape that goes down to the next layer below (drapes come out from underneath fondant roses).

The 10" is violet fondant base w/white fondant diamonds applied to the sides all the way around. Dragees at all corners, bordered in same purple flowers that went on the 8". White cornelli lace over the purple fondant (except for where the diamodns would go). There would be a fondant drape connecting the 8" & the 10".

Here's where it get's tricky. I absolutely love the look of a round cake with fondant swags about every 6 inches or so all the way around. Not sure how that would look to have a 14" round with swags all the way around, and then a drape on the top two tiers. My thought was that the 14" would be white fondant for the top & the swags ... purple buttercream underneath ... and I would use white fondant strips that have been pressed with the diamond pattern, those would go about every 1.5", somewhat underneath the swags. Do you all think this would look goofy? If I am going to "swag" all sides of the base cake, should I repeat that pattern for the other two layers?

I am making myself neurotic over this cake, LOL! Any ideas/thought would be great! It's for my parent's 35th anniversary ... really want this to be a nice & elegant cake. Thanks !! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 6

Since I'm a visual person, I can't invision exactly what it is you're trying to do ... I'll bump this back up to the top and maybe someone else can comment on it icon_smile.gif

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 6

Well, it sounds like there's a loth going into this cake. I'm having a hard time trying to visualize everything you're looking to put into it. You could just draw it out and then see if you like the way it looks. I am curious though, you mentioned draping and then swags on the bottom. Is your draping going all the way the bottom layer, or how is it coming together?

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 6

I was with you right up until the 14" layer. I had to draw a picture to see it. You said you were doing white fondant on the top of the 14" and purple buttercream underneath... My question is (forgive me if it's stupid, just trying for a visual here...) is the white fondant going to cover the WHOLE 14" layer, including the sides? I'm guessing it is, but the way I first read it, sounded to me like the sides were going to be purple buttercream and the top would be white fondant... I would say as long as the 14" is completely covered in white fondant and the purple buttercream was underneath the fondant, then the rest of your plans sound good. I'm a lousy artist but my interpretation of your cake looks nice. But I would recommend some violet accents on the 14" layer to tie it in with the other two layers. Maybe violet strips OR violet swags? I can't wait to see a picture. It sounds like a gorgeous cake!

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 6

I can't seem to visualize this cake either, so I guess that I am no help. It does like it will be gorgeous.

Just do what is in your mind's eye and I am sure it will look lovely.

Can't wait to see the pic.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 25 Aug 2005 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for your responses!

The idea for swags all around the sides of the 14" cake came from the 2005 Wilton book (it is either the wedding cake book or the Wedding cake dream book). Not sure if I am still going to do that though, it is getting too complex and might be too busy.

Here is my inspiration cake ... it was posted in the Cake Central wedding album by Godiva. Name of it is "Auria", it's green with a huge cascade of flowers (gorgeous!). She did an amazing job:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=4

Instead of a cascade of flowers, I am going to do fondant drapes that start around the back and then wrap around the front to connect each layer. Flowers clustered on top of each drape. Will be piping some cornelli lace on tier 2 & 3 as well.

Anyhow, I leave in 3 more hours for Phoenix ... wish me and my traveling cakes well! Will post pics when we come back. Thanks again,

Jen icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%