Working With Gumpaste Difficulty

Decorating By StefanieLRyan Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 3:59am by cakeslammin

StefanieLRyan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I'm trying to make a small gumpaste sculpture of a dog. I made the legs separately and the head from a different piece and am having difficulty adhering the pieces to the body of the dog. Does gumpaste not stick to itself without a "glue"? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you, Stefanie

7 replies
leah_s Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 8

gum glue is just a wee bity of gumpaste disolved in a wee bit of water. Voila! glue.

liha21 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 8

melted white chocolate is my favorite 'glue' to use. But I don't work with gumpaste, I work with chocolate paste, it is so much easier to work with for me.

Jenthecakelady Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 8

I made a cake w/dogs made of gumpaste/fondant mixture recently and used equal parts meringue powder and water for my glue. It seemed to work just fine.

emiyeric Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 8

I use the gum glue leahs mentioned, but Antonia74's icing (made a bit thicker) is a fantastic glue as well. You could cement your gumpaste to the ceiling if you wanted icon_wink.gif.

Jenthecakelady Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 8

Also, for the head stick a skewer down the middle of the dog's body in addition to adding glue for extra security.

umgrzfn Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenthecakelady

Also, for the head stick a skewer down the middle of the dog's body in addition to adding glue for extra security.

I use either toothpicks or a 20g piece of floral wire depending on how big of a figurine I'm making. It works much better then just trying to glue the pieces together! So, make the body, put a toothpick/piece of wire in it and let it dry (make sure to do the same with the lets if needed) and then attach the head. Sometimes if the head is to heavy, the toothpick/wire won't matter cause it will gradually squish the body. I hope this makes sence! icon_confused.gif

cakeslammin Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:59am
post #8 of 8

i use egg whites as glue...that would be simular to the merange powder. but i always have eggs on hand...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%