Doug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

I counted 22 (and assumed another for symmetry)

She's a CC member, I do believe....I don't get out much and I know her from somewhere...

well, I know mine do, and I guess the photographer's do too..

toes and fingers stop counting at 20! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

Just for the record...I wasn't saying that to correct you nor the writer of the newspaper photo caption. It was more like...if 20 tiers was worth a wow! and a bow...it being more than that would be worth a holy cow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

Quote:

She's a CC member, I do believe....I don't get out much and I know her from somewhere...

toes and fingers stop counting at 20! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

I got a grand total of 24 after looking at the 2nd link. It's not my personal taste either but I'm sure the bride & groom loved it.

see, I was going by the photo caption.

and this just goes to prove a point I make to my journalism students (and I can now use this thread and these photos and links to prove it to them)

DOUBLE check all your facts BEFORE publishing!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #32 of 56

I would totally do it if someone asked. Ca-ching! $$$$$

((I just wouldn't photograph the evidence!))

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #33 of 56

I must be a dork or have bad old fashioned taste but I think that is so cool especially the grand enormity of it all. I've always loved fountains and they would be out of place with some more modern cakes but they totally fit with this yet I don't think it is old fashioned looking at all. I really, really love it!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #34 of 56

just a simple reminder:

Everything old is new again.

----

styles come and go (tho' some I wish would just stay gone! -- like tie-dye, platform shoes, etc.)

example -- the man's modern 4 button suit coat. Role clock back to Edwardian dress coat and you've got the same thing -- only took about 100 years.

won't be at all surprised if they come back -- it's called "fashion" and well, the stacked tier, smooth fondant is becoming "so, mom's (ewwww) cake".

(just puhleeze -- not the stair and little plastic bridesmaids and groomsmen!)

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #35 of 56
Quote:

and well, the stacked tier, smooth fondant is becoming "so, mom's (ewwww) cake".

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Take that back!! No! Never! icon_lol.gif

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #36 of 56

I have to say, though the style may seem dated to some the decorator is doing a ton of them and she does them well. Some of them are very tall and the table presentation, though not my taste, is very pretty and well coordinated.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

Quote:

I got a grand total of 24 after looking at the 2nd link. It's not my personal taste either but I'm sure the bride & groom loved it.

look at the one in the first link and the one in the second link....they're two different setups of the same design (now, that's a wow!) The center towering stack on the first link has 4 tiers and in the second link, that same cake placement has 5 tiers...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:18pm
post #38 of 56

I love it!

NOBODY'S going to walk in and ask "Are they going to have a cake?"

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm
post #39 of 56

My last wedding cake was pillars and stairs, the bride wanted the grooms cake where the fountain would normally be.

It's what she wanted, and she was delighted.

It's all about THEM---not me....

I'll do what I can to make the bride and groom's day special. If it means fountain, then fountain it is. If it means funky--funky! I did a beach themed wedding with handpainted chocolate shells.. THAT was fun!! and I so enjoyed making that. I feel honored when I'm chosen to create the most special desert of their lives.

They knew exactly what they wanted and got it. Kudos to the creator--she made THEM happy.

thumbs_up.gif

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:53pm
post #40 of 56

the pictures she has posted on the yahoo link show really pretty cakes no matter how they are stacked shes got talent! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyG33

the pictures she has posted on the yahoo link show really pretty cakes no matter how they are stacked shes got talent! thumbs_up.gif

I agree! Props to her for doing a bang up job, regardless of anyone's opinion of the cake itself! icon_lol.gif

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #42 of 56

I agree it's beautiful! Well displayed! It's not my taste, but there are all kinds of people...with all kinds of tastes...that keeps things interesting! I do think they look like 2" cakes which would reduce the number of servings quite a bit from the 1500 estimated above.

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #43 of 56

I agree with many of you! The fountains, pillars, and stairs may not be what I would pick but her presentations are still very pretty. You can tell she goes all out for her brides!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:34pm
post #44 of 56

Now while I can praise the decorator in that the work is very well done and those cakes look flawless, I am on the "no pillars and fountains" bandwagon... I don't do them... I won't do them. I will gladly send anyone else the business that wants if it I have a bride who insists on them. I was FLOORED when I came on CC and I realized that people still have cakes like that... I'll pass icon_smile.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:16pm
post #45 of 56

Definitely "GRAND"! icon_razz.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm
post #46 of 56
Quote:

----

Role clock back to Edwardian dress coat

)

I'm sorry Doug (you know I love you thumbs_up.gif ), but 'role the clock back'?! C'mon Mr English Teacher, surely that should be 'roll the clock back'?! I'm sorry, just couldn't resist pointing that out icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif !

Doug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Quote:

----

)

I'm sorry Doug (you know I love you thumbs_up.gif ), but 'role the clock back'?! C'mon Mr English Teacher, surely that should be 'roll the clock back'?! I'm sorry, just couldn't resist pointing that out icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif !

that's ok...I AM know as the English teacher who can't spell! (or write legibly or type very accurately and who's math is nearly as bad as his spelling and who walks into and trips over things, etc)

icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm
post #48 of 56
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Quote:

----

)

that's ok...I AM know as the English teacher who can't spell! (or write legibly or type very accurately and who's math is nearly as bad as his spelling and who walks into and trips over things, etc)

icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif And I know you meant to say known.....hee hee. Oh I hate proofreading my own posts, how dare I point out someone else's mistakes! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

Doug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:14pm
post #49 of 56

It's vacation.

I'm OFF duty.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:18pm
post #50 of 56
Quote:

It's vacation.

I'm OFF duty.

'Nuff said! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm
post #51 of 56
Quote:

It's vacation.

I'm OFF duty.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's how I feel!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:32pm
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

and well, the stacked tier, smooth fondant is becoming "so, mom's (ewwww) cake".

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Take that back!! No! Never! icon_lol.gif

People .... even Martha Stewart is "bringing back" the piped wedding cake (and I use the term "bringing back" loosely 'coz I still do them). So hurry "Back to the Future" and catch up with the rest of us! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/white-wedding-cakes?lnc=6b9c139b22b1d110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&rsc=lpg_cakes&lpgStart=1¤tslide=15¤tChapter=1#ms-global-breadcrumbs

You guys didn't REALLY think those silly looking crooked cakes with zebra stripes wold be the "in" thing forever did you? icon_confused.gif Geesh, it's like having leopard furs on your steering wheel! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #54 of 56

I'm not a hater. I like them. She has found her niche and does it well!

YOU GO GIRL!!!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:31am
post #55 of 56

I am not a fan of the pillars and fountains, but that cake did look amazing. wonder what it cost? icon_smile.gif
every once in a while I have a bride that I can't talk out of pillars and fountians.

now, about Martha bringing back the piping all over the cake..... NO tell me it aint so!!

I hate piping all that all over the cake.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:45am
post #56 of 56

The mother ship has landed.

That said, whether one loves the eighties or wouldn't do a fountain cake for love or money, this creation is spectacular.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%