Stacking A 3D Cake...

Decorating By AXOCutie143 Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm by AXOCutie143

AXOCutie143 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a 1st birthday cake for a friend, and it's going to be a 3D bear (wilton pan) on top of a 10 or 12 inch round. What's the best way to stack a 3D cake on top of a round? I'm not an expert on stacking so I thought I would come and ask the pros icon_smile.gif I've been searching for tutorials but all I'm finding is stacking tiered round or square cakes.

Thanks in advance!

4 replies
colleenant Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 5

Put the bear cake on a cake board (shape the board to fit the bottom of the bear). place 5-6 dowels in a circle about 1 - 2 inches apart (depending how big the bear is). this will prevent the bear cake crushing the cake under it. To prevent it from tipping, put a long center dowel through the bear cake and the cake under it.

CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleenant

Put the bear cake on a cake board (shape the board to fit the bottom of the bear). place 5-6 dowels in a circle about 1 - 2 inches apart (depending how big the bear is). this will prevent the bear cake crushing the cake under it. To prevent it from tipping, put a long center dowel through the bear cake and the cake under it.

Thats how I would do it as well.
It also helps to put your cakes in the fridge until they are cold prior to stacking, this will make the icing hard and cut down on fingerprints and smudges.Good Luck and Happy Caking

Molly2 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 5

I do a lot of cake that are 3D stacked and I do what colleenant and CakeMommyTX does. Very good advice

Molly thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

AXOCutie143 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you, all of you! I knew I could count on my fellow CCers icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%