Pls Read This Email, Is She A Pita Customer?

Decorating By three_sets_of_twins Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm by 7yyrt

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 32

I was quite excited about an order that came my way, we emailed details back and forth (lots of unanswered questions) and looked like we were heading on the right ttack, But when I got this email a little red flag went up...Is this one of those PITA ladies who are never happy? How do I kindly decline her order now, after I already told her I would be free?
Dear XXX

Aha. begonia, could not think of the name of the flowers icon_wink.gif

They are very pretty!

Unfortunately I am very fussy with details(its a curse!) so I pay attention to the finest details. Example, I noticed your polk-a-dot cup cake paper cups in the pink Bouquet, such a nice touch!

I like the idea of the topiary style, I think its more elegant, as long as you can make the leaves look elegant to?, I think I would prefer it.

Honestly I prefer the Coloured vases, once again Im obsessed with details..LOL

I think well cancel the baby chocolates for the cupcakes, If I want to order some separately Ill let you know.

So you can quote me on:

3 centerpieces,
12 cupcakes , pink roses.
12 cupcakes, yellow and white daisies
12 cupcakes, blue and "lillac colored" bagonias,

Also give me a quote on 15 cupcakes/arrangement, perhaps it will look better this way?

Waiting to hear from you

31 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by three_sets_of_twins

I was quite excited about an order that came my way, we emailed details back and forth (lots of unanswered questions) and looked like we were heading on the right ttack, But when I got this email a little red flag went up...Is this one of those PITA ladies who are never happy? How do I kindly decline her order now, after I already told her I would be free?

Free?

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 32

available = free .. i hope

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpuppy

available = free .. i hope

Oh oh oh oh--geez I was freaking out.

Ok so yeah just say --"sorry something came up, no can do"

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 32

you can just go ahead and tell her that you are now booked for that date and cannot take anymore orders.
I'm assuming she didn't make any kind of deposit since you are still in the quoting stage

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 32

If she can pay you big bucks then why not. Once in a while, you will get a really picky customer with OCD and that will be your challenge. If she is paying the right amount of money, I don't see why not.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 32

well, you could tell her that you are getting booked up and all the changes she is making will not be possible to do her order the way she would like it to be done. And that she may want to look for someone who could.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 32

I think she could be a PITA, but as long as you are strong, you could totally take her. just make sure the details are in your contract.
and do be firm with her, that any changes made are ok once, any changes after that are charged, and NO changes after X date. (all this emailing without a paid confirmation?)
if you want to decline, all you do is say you are afraid someone has paid to reserve the dates, and add in recommendations for other bakers.
xx

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 32

I don't think you should lie to her or make up excuses. You should tell her flat out that your time is valuable and this is YOUR paycheck that we are dealing with, and you are not going to be flip-flopping back and forth with her indecisiveness. If she needs it to be so "perfect" in her eyes, then she needs to learn how to bake and decorate herself, plain and simple. She will never be happy, and in the longrun she will turn in to a bigger headache than it is worth!

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 32

She's the paying customer and therefore wants to make sure she's paying for what she wants, exactly what she wants. I don't think she is asking for anything outrageously picky.

You never know, she may turn out to be 100% satisfied and just wanted to make sure all details are straight. I rather someone be SUPER picky from the get-go than be 'do what you want.. i'm sure i'll like it!' and then deliver and it was not what was in their vision. Too many customer's of mine assume what I like is what THEY like. I really appreciate customer's who understand that they are picky and let me know from the beginning.

Good luck w/ the order!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 32

Hmmmm-- go with your gut. From her letter, she doesn't sound that bad--but a little annoying, yes. Elegant leaves? icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #12 of 32

I don't get how a a customer who is particular and knows what they want is automatically labeled a PITA?? I know there are plenty of PITA's out there, but I think when people are paying the prices we charge (or at least that I charge lol) they have a right to be a little particular about how they want their order... that, alone, does not make them a PITA.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #13 of 32

As long as you are charging enough for it to be worth your while to do I would do it.

At least you know exactly what she wants.

If you could give her some examples of what you can do and tell her this is how it will look and she agrees to it then I don't see a problem.

It is always your prerogative to decline an order . I would just tell her as per her description and stating how perfect she wants it to be you would hate for your vision to differ from her vision and her be unhappy with the order. This is what I can do and this is how much Take it or leave it.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:53am
post #14 of 32

Ok..
free as in available yes lol.
Im still fairly new at this so i still tend to get a little nervous. I am soooo for and LOVE it when people give me details, it's just I kinda got the feeling she was the kind who wouldnt be happy with whatever Igave her.
I quoted her a price but made it a bit up there, nothing outrageous though.
but, like i asked her in each and every one of my emails, WHEN IS THE DATE, she hasnt answered. So I still have time to think about it and just tell her Im booked that day now since she never got back to me.

JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:58am
post #15 of 32

Well if you don't even know the date , you may be too busy to do it anyway... icon_wink.gif

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:31am
post #16 of 32

What the heck does pita stand for?

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:51am
post #17 of 32

Pain in The Ass

JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:55am
post #18 of 32

OH I thought it was bread.... HAHAHA

just kidding..

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:10am
post #19 of 32

Thanks for clairifying, for the life of me I couldn't figure it out icon_smile.gif

momvarden Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:13am
post #20 of 32

I have to say that it I have had that vibe, I think you have every right to say no to what ever customer that you are dealing with. After all it is your business and your money. If you don't want that stress than just cancel it. Life is to short, enjoy what you are doing don't get stress over it in a bad way.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:27pm
post #21 of 32

I think elegant leaves would be smooth and shiny.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #22 of 32

you still dont have a date and have spent that much time discussing it with her? mmm...
send her an email saying that without a date, no further details can be discussed. she emails back without a date? either send the same email again, or ignore.
whether or not you take the order out of choice is up to you - but this is a waste of your time and energy if you truely arent available in the first place!
xx

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #23 of 32

Just from her wording, she sounds like a scammer. And the fact that she can't provide a date adds more to my suspicious nature. I wouldn't do it, but that's me.

Good Luck!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #24 of 32

I agree that you should have a date before you have any more discussions about what she wants. As for her being picky...I think when any of us orders something, we have some expectation that it will be exactly what we want. It could be a challenge but very rewarding.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I don't get how a a customer who is particular and knows what they want is automatically labeled a PITA?? I know there are plenty of PITA's out there, but I think when people are paying the prices we charge (or at least that I charge lol) they have a right to be a little particular about how they want their order... that, alone, does not make them a PITA.

I agree.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:57pm
post #26 of 32

Well sadly the woman changed her mind about the whole cupcake topiary. I guess the price shocked her, so now she wants a plain double layer carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and a star border. lol. That she will put a rubber duckie on top. lol. I would not have found that funny before I joined CC...
She also wants just plain old cupcakes with buttercream swirls along with the carrot cake. She has allowed me to tie little bows around each cupcake, as long "as the bows I choose are tasteful and elegant" lol???????
Tasteful, elegant, and rubber duckie dont belong in the same sentance as far as I know lol.
Oh and the cupcakes must be LILAC color. I had to google image that LOL.

Well even though she is picky, which she has every right to be, nothing overboard...her order is oretty much fool proof so I'll go ahead and do it.

momvarden Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #27 of 32

good i am glad you got the order.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by three_sets_of_twins

Tasteful, elegant, and rubber duckie dont belong in the same sentance as far as I know lol.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Now that's funny right there! (as Larry the Cable Guy would say!)

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #30 of 32

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL@7yyrt, LOL where did you get that image?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%